Squaring up accounts

Accountability a must in SA bribery and due process charges

Now that the investigation of the bribery charges from last year's Student Association election is finally underway, it is of paramount concern that those responsible be held accountable. If Mazin Kased is guilty, as Matthew Pelkey and his former party members allege he is, action must be taken. And either way, guilty or innocent, the process that SA used to delay a ruling in the matter must be reformed.

Wednesday's hearing will discuss the charges while a separate - and more serious - criminal investigation is currently underway by University Police. During last year's elections, Kased was taped offering opposing candidate Francisco Baiocchi a job with SA if he dropped out of the election. Former delegate candidates Pelkey, Baiocchi and Elizabeth Salzman also charge SA of violating their right to due process by refusing to deal with the bribery charges.

Now, almost a year later, Pelkey seeks the restitution of his, Baiocchi's and Salzman's SA fees, which is reasonable because clearly their rights to due process were trampled. But his attempt to redistribute every discretionary dollar spent by the SA during Kased's tenure to all UB students is simply impossible. It would accomplish little but crippling the SA altogether. UB students who weren't involved in the scandal shouldn't be made to suffer for Kased's alleged misdeeds. Pelkey is going too far in seeking this term.

The contents of the tape should give any UB student pause. Kased's attitude in particular shows a tone reminiscent of George Pape's administration that needs to be tempered. And who and what exactly comprises the mafia-like "family" Kased alludes to? The Spectrum has heard the tape, and Kased himself confirmed his voice on the tape. He clearly offers Baiocchi an SA job in exchange for dropping out of the race. Whether or not the tape is admissible in the investigation is unsure, but should the Student-wide Judiciary find Kased guilty, he should not be let off with a mere wrist slap.

Individual accountability is key. If Kased is found guilty, he should be forced to resign his treasurer position within SA.

Regardless of the scandal's particulars, reform is desperately needed for the rules and regulations that failed miserably in bringing forth a timely ruling. The fix for this is simple: place a time limit on the charges. If a charge is not ruled on within 30 days, it defaults to the Student-wide Judiciary. Not only would this force SA to address its accusers, it would ensure every students' due process with SA grievances.

Budget battle time

Governor's budget proposal shafts SUNY students

George Pataki's latest budget proposal is loaded with tax policies, incentives and cuts for businesses and high-end earners. But he also stuck in a SUNY tuition increase for students. With a budget that reeks of national political considerations, it is obvious Pataki is seeking his party's presidential nomination in 2008. But it's obvious he's not concerned about a large bloc of voters and is sticking it to students in the end.

Pataki promised the SUNY system $85 million more than his last budget offered. That money is not coming from New York's supposed $2 billion surplus, however. Pataki is basically offering students their own money: he wants SUNY to hike tuition $500 next year. The money he allocates to SUNY comes from the increased revenue derived from the tuition increase, so it's a wash as far as SUNY students are concerned.

Pataki's proposed budget will have a major impact on the state's poorest students because of his proposed changes to the Tuition Assistance Program. His TAP proposal would reformulate how awards are given by increasing the amount of credits a full-time student must take from 12, up to 15. Those with fewer than 15 credit hours would be subject to a 20-percent decrease in their award. Right now, approximately 40 percent of UB undergraduates receive some form of TAP aid. Increasing their tuition costs punishes those who can afford it least, let alone critics' statements - including SUNY Vice Chancellor Elizabeth Capaldi's - that colleges themselves would not be able to handle the additional course load. Not even the federal government requires 15 credits - that limit is 12, one that probably will undermine Pataki's proposal.

Pataki is attempting to brighten his national political prospects at the expense of SUNY students. SUNY Chancellor John Ryan recognizes this and is attempting to raise SUNY revenue through the legislature, not a tuition increase. We hope his message gets through and SUNY tuition remains unchanged next year. Public education should be available for any member of the public who wants it, not just those who can afford it.