Basketball mania returns

New faces give season different feel from last year's incendiary season

The jewel in UB's athletic program began play Friday night with a win over Canisius College. Another men's hoops season is underway and if Friday's crowd is any indication, basketball fever has returned to UB in a big way.

Turnout was huge Friday night, the game was played before a packed house, but two wins this weekend should be taken with a grain of salt. UB's fandom should prepare for a more turbulent season than last year's. Four starters were lost to graduation and Reggie Witherspoon's squad is more inexperienced, not as tight together yet as they were last winter. But that doesn't mean fans should abandon the team. In fact, it means the opposite. The 2005-2006 Bulls need the fans to show up in force, not only for support, but to see them congeal as a team.

In order for the "Sea of blue" to be a vital factor, enthusiastic crowds must be the norm. A problem last year was the separation of the student sections when a redesigned student section was instituted. As a result, student sections were broken up and many find themselves standing while watching the games.

Paid attendance is crucial to any athletic department's bottom line, but students should never be shortchanged in catering to the paying crowd. Students are the heart and soul of UB's community and comprise the more vocal basketball attendees.

The last thing this team needs is fans jumping off the bandwagon if UB struggles this year. Great fans support their teams through thick and thin, and hopefully Bulls supporters aren't any different.