Downtown Buffalo's redemption conundrum

Lack of consistency and vision proving problematic in redevelopment process

Buffalo wants it both ways.

Those leading downtown Buffalo's development agencies suffer from different visions that are seemingly at odds over what is needed for success. We hear of plans for the future, but nothing as to how we'll get there. Huge governmental economic incentives are dolled out to fishing retailers, and sovereign land is ceded to gambling interests in an effort at creating downtown development. But the nuts and bolts required for renewal are never detailed.

Wednesday's announcements of new downtown housing development geared toward low-income artisans, coupled with the rejection of a topless-dancers club on Pearl Street, are indicative of the disconnect. While the former is a no brainier -- housing projects of this nature actually hold the key to a revitalized downtown-the latter is short sighted and hypocritical in light of the casino in our midst.

The $16 million Artspace Project housing development, with units ranging from $495 to $895, featuring loft-style living and workspaces for artists, chose the historic Buffalo Electric Vehicle Co. building on Main Street. This is a welcome addition to the ever-expanding housing developments in downtown that, up to this point, have left out the little guy. Though vacant buildings are in abundance, builders and developers alike charge outrageous rents because they think young urban professionals will pay them. The problem is there aren't that many young urban professionals in Buffalo. Big city rental rates are the norm-artists and students have been priced out of living downtown. This made no sense for the greater good of Buffalo. The Artspace Project will begin to address this problem, hopefully leading to another wave of development directed towards this segment of the market, while lowering downtown Buffalo's artificially inflated housing prices in the process.

But an "upscale gentleman's club," proposed for the second floor of 318 Pearl St. above the Century Grill, was rejected unanimously by Buffalo's Zoning Board of Appeals. The Board's ruling was based on problems cited with the business plan code for morality issues and objections from Buffalo Place, which sent a letter outlining their reservations.

So gambling, with its ethical and moral complications, is fine for downtown Buffalo but topless dancing is not. The board said, "This type of establishment does not fit into our Queen City Hub Plan."

It seems Buffalo wants to be Las Vegas without the sin, which is noble but unrealistic. Bringing gambling to the city was a slippery slope to begin with. Maybe they plan on turning the Cobblestone area, where the casino is expected to go, into a red-light district. What happens if, and when, the casino decides to bring "Las Vegas-style" entertainment in the form of a topless showgirl routine? The casino will be on sovereign Seneca land and not subject to the Queen City Hub plan. They are effectively giving control of the entire entertainment industry in downtown Buffalo to one organization.

It is interesting that Buffalo Place is the organization that fought the casino. That group lost the most when the casino was placed in the Cobblestone district. A casino located in the Theatre District or along the Main Street light rail line, where Buffalo Place is located, would have been great for downtown businesses. It would have placed the casino near Chippewa, near nearly all downtown bars, restaurants, hotels and shopping. While it's not all their fault, Buffalo Place is one of the organizations that tried to make downtown attractive to the casino, and somehow it didn't work. Now, Buffalo Place should be trying everything in its power to provide entertainment that would draw people from the casino, and striking down adult entertainment is not on the right track.

Those looking to start new businesses downtown should be encouraged, not rebuffed. Artspace's development efforts show there is plenty of prime vacancy for all.