Buffalo Law Review Honors First Woman Surrogate Judge in Erie County

Among an eclectic group of UB alumni, professors, students and administrators, The Buffalo Law Review honored UB graduate and professor Barbara Howe Friday night for recently becoming the first-ever female surrogate judge in Erie County.

"Judge Howe is a true academic, as qualified to be a professor as she is a judge," said Britta Lukomski, managing editor of the Law Review, the student-run journal that hosted the event. "She is known for her fair decisions. A role model for women lawyers, she broke through the gender barriers of the profession with dignity and success."

Along with her position as a judge, Howe - UB Law School Class of 1980 - maintains positions at UB as an associate professor of sociology and an adjunct clinical professor of law. Recently, Erie County Executive Joel Giambra named Howe one of the ten most influential women in Erie County.

Howe said that while she is encouraged by the equal gender breakdown of the Law Review students, the real legal world breakdown is not so even.

"There are still very few women role models in the legal profession," Howe said.

In her speech, entitled "The Lifetime Responsibilities of an Educated Lawyer," Howe's own passion for academics shone through as she urged alumni and students to continue their education.

"Obviously, in an ideal world, all attorneys would understand that continuing education is not only in their own self-interest but a source of enlightenment," Howe said. "And to those of you who will soon graduate from our State University of New York Law School with 'Law Review' at the top of your curriculum vitae, I urge you to leave here with a special commitment to be leaders in all aspects of continuing education in the law and beyond."

Elizabeth Perry, a third year law student, said Howe is a great example of what a lawyer should be.

David Teigman, third year law student and editor-in-chief of Law Review, called her "the most respected lawyer in town."

According to Lukomski, the Law Review came up with several candidates to be this year's honoree, but Judge Howe "was the hands-down win."

"I have at least reached the pinnacle of where I want to be," said Howe of her appointment to surrogate judge and now the Law Review's accolades.

Though she said she wouldn't run for any elected office, Howe said she is energized by the students' commitment and preparation.

Along with the current staff members who turned out for the event, many past staff members and big names from the law school - such as former UB president William Greiner and UB Law School Dean Nils Olsen - also were in attendance.

Held at the Hyatt Regency Hotel in downtown Buffalo, the event gave teachers and students a chance to network and mingle outside the UB setting.

Along with honoring Howe, Teigman also recognized Dean Olsen for his support of the Law Review, which has been cited 32 times in court cases over the last seven years and was able to increase the number of issues this year from three to four, according to Teigman.

After a brief "year in review" speech, Teigman presented Olsen with a plaque and a framed copy of all four issue covers for this year's Law Review.

"I am glad we didn't do six (issues)," Olsen said. "I'm not sure it would have fit on my wall."