Broadway Joe's To Shake Like a Salt (the Earth) Shaker

An up-and-coming heavy rock band has many responsibilities.

It must have an original sound to separate it from the rest of the crowd. It must build a reputation. It must have recordings to sell and they must spend a lot of time on the road to promote themselves through live shows.

Salt the Earth, (bassist/vocalist Matt Morgus, guitarist Nick Knutson, vocalist/guitarist Martin Bush and drummer Nick Haxton), a self-described "steady and furious" rock quartet from Lawrence, Kan. has taken care of the above-mentioned responsibilities and are preparing for the next phase after two-and-a-half years together.

Having recently signed with Anxiety Records, also based in Kansas, Salt the Earth has embarked on the "Puppies and Kitties" tour, which has them playing just about every night from Jan. 13 to Feb. 25, spanning the Northeast, Midwest, Southeast, Northwest and everywhere in between.

"So far, so good," said Morgus. "The last two dates (Connecticut and Delaware) were sold out. Everything's going well so far."

The tour pairs Salt the Earth with fellow rockers Fear Before the March of Flames for all of the dates. The tour comes to Broadway Joe's on Wednesday, Feb. 4 with Scars of Tomorrow, clearmotive and Bury Your Dead sharing the bill.

"We've been with (Fear Before...) for six or eight months," said Morgus. "We couldn't do this tour without them. We hang out together, eat together, stay in the same hotels...we're bros."

Morgus said Salt the Earth has certain expectations for their Buffalo gig, recalling the band's last show at Broadway Joe's in the spring of 2003.

"We played about eight months ago at Broadway Joe's," said Morgus. "We had a good time. I remember it was so cold and it was snowing. It was snowing in April," he said, laughing. "It's probably going to be really cold now."

Though 2004 is starting out as a busy year for Salt the Earth, the band's website biography (at www.salttheearth.com) states that after the independent release of their self-titled debut album, "Salt the Earth took to the road with an old-school, do-it-yourself ethic."

Morgus said the "do-it-yourself ethic" helped Salt the Earth gain character and experience as a touring band.

"It's extremely hard (to book your own shows)," said Morgus. "Promoters don't want to deal with bands that aren't on a label. Things are starting to fall into place now, but it was tough."

These early shows included some interesting venues, according to Morgus.

"A lot of the shows were out in the middle of nowhere and only a few people would show up. Or it would be a biker bar with three guys who were probably thinking, 'What the hell?' But I guess that's like paying your dues."

Getting together in 2001, Morgus said Salt the Earth started out with modest, yet pertinent goals.

"Basically, we wanted to be a really good local band," said Morgus. "We were trying to come up with an original sound. Lawrence, Kan. is known for some good bands, like The Get-Up Kids and The Anniversary. We wanted to get past that and create our own thing. It seems like a long time ago, but it wasn't."

After the "Puppies and Kitties" tour, Salt the Earth is going to take a short, well-deserved rest, then it's time to go out on the road yet again.

"We're working out a tour with (Atlanta natives) The Underwater for a full U.S. tour through March or April," said Morgus.

He added that Salt the Earth knows erratic touring schedules are part of the job.

"We'll be home for two weeks, then out again," said Morgus. "We hope to be doing that until we can't anymore."

Fans can check out the band's Web site at www.salttheearth.com. The site includes tour information, news, pictures, mp3s and more.