The Sharpest Point: 11.12.03

Playoff Madness Continues

John Norman bounced Corey Griswold from the first playoff match up last week, and now it comes down to Jim Byrne and Darren Riethmiller as they vie for the other slot in next week's Sharpest Point super bowl.

This week's judge panel is made up of WKBW-TV Sports Director John Murphy and WKBW-TV Sports Anchor Jeff Russo.

This Week's Question: Which professional football player retired after 1990 would make the best NFL head coach?

Jim Byrne: A common misconception among those who watch football is that the quarterback is the most intelligent player on a roster, and therefore would make the best head coach for a football team.

While two former All-Pro quarterbacks did pop into my head for this topic - Warren Moon and Steve Young - it was a defensive player that really stood out among others to me.

Mike Singletary manned the linebacker position for the Chicago Bears for 12 long years, propelling his team to lead the league in defense three times, while collecting the storied Vince Lombardi trophy in 1986 when the Bears defeated the Patriots 46-10 in Super Bowl XX.

While stats and championships are all pretty and nice to look at, it's Singletary's motivational ability that would make him a quality coach in the NFL.

Singletary had been going around the country making motivational speeches, something that is essential in the NFL (just ask Herm Edwards), when a position as head coach at his alma mater, Baylor University, opened up. He eventually lost the competition for the job, but the opportunity spurred him to where he is today.

The position that Singletary holds today is the linebackers' coach for the Baltimore Ravens. Singletary has taken the necessary steps to one day become a solid head coach in the league, and I truly believe that one day he will in fact be just that.

And besides, how could you not love a guy that sung these lyrics: "I'm Samurai Mike, I stop 'em cold. Part of the defense, big and bold. I've been jammin' for quite a while, doin' what's right and settin' the style. Give me a chance, I'll rock you good - nobody messin' in my neighborhood! I didn't come here lookin' for trouble, I just came to do The Super Bowl Shuffle."

Darren Riethmiller: When you look at successful coaches in the NFL today, it becomes evident that they are all defensively minded. Marvin Lewis is a good example of this as he is turning around the Bengals of Cincy.

This is why I believe once beloved defensive end Phil Hansen would make an excellent head coach in the NFL.

Hansen was one of those guys who came in and did his job day in and day out with out being obnoxious and asking for ridiculous contracts. He wasn't outspoken and probably would have gone unnoticed in other NFL towns but somehow with All-Pro Bruce Smith at the other end, Hansen was a household name and was loved by Buffalo. His play wasn't what made him loved by Buffalo but it was his professionalism and good character.

That same professionalism and character would make him a good NFL coach. The players, city and fans would respect him and with him being a successful defensive player in the NFL, he would garner a successful future with a team.

I mean, sure we could all say that Lawrence Taylor would be a good coach because he was ??ber in the NFL, or Neon Deion because of his personality, but what it all comes down to is respect and being a player's coach, something that Phil Hansen would definitely gain and also something that is lacking in Buffalo as of now.

The Verdict

John Murphy: I think it's difficult to argue that a recently retired player who has never coached on any level would make a good NFL head coach. That's why I tend to agree with Jim Byrne, that Mike Singletary is a viable candidate to someday run his own team in the league.

While I appreciate Phil Hansen's years of dedicated service to the Bills and his quiet, determined leadership, I never got the impression that he was interested in coaching or in making the sacrifices necessary to be a good coach in the NFL. In contrast, I'm impressed that Mike Singletary has jumped into the fray - working the long hours and making the 12-month 12-hour-a day commitment to learn about coaching and what it takes to coach in the NFL.

Jeff Russo: While both editors make good points, Jim Byrne makes the best all around argument.

Singletary and Hansen were obviously different types of players, but both effective in the roles they played for their teams. But the difference between being a good player and a good coach is miles apart.

Singletary is already well aware of what it may take to be a good head coach, it's something he's working towards and something he desires. I'm not sure you could say the same about Hansen. It's a different type of commitment that would make a good head coach, from a well-rounded franchise player.

he Victor: Jim Byrne