Offense Goes AWOL For Bulls in Citrus Bowl

ORLAND, FLA. - When a defense allows only 12 points in a game, never mind UB's much-maligned D, much more cannot be asked of the unit.

There is no question that they did their part, allowing the offense a chance to win by only having to score a few points to win the game.

Unfortunately for the defense, the offense could not up the ante, only scoring ten points in the first half, as the Buffalo Bulls (0-6, 0-2 Mid-American Conference) fell to the Central Florida Golden Knights (2-3, 1-1 MAC) on Saturday night in the Citrus Bowl by a score of 19-10.

Despite the defense's Herculean efforts and the offensive woes, special teams was where the backbreaker was delivered to the Bulls in the third quarter with the game still up in the air at 12-10.

With 5:58 remaining in the game and plenty of time for UB to ignite some sort of offensive effort, the Bulls punted a kick out of their own end zone to the Knights' speedster Tavaris Capers. Capers returned the punt 52 yards for paydirt, driving the steak into Buffalo's heart and putting UCF up 19-10.

"That one touchdown was as much a difference as anything else in the game," said UB head coach Jim Hofher.

With the teams separated by two scores, the Buffalo offense seemed to slump even more so, going three and out on the next three consecutive drives.

"We came down there at the end and had a chance to win it and it just fell apart," said Buffalo quarterback P.J. Piskorik, who made his third consecutive start.

It was a shame for the Buffalo defense, who played valiantly for the most part, that the offense could get nothing going, as UB's D was able to keep the Bulls in the game at least on paper.

Rob Schroeder came up immensely, blocking an extra point in the early goings to keep Buffalo in it at 6-3, and taking down a 33-yard field goal attempt in the fourth quarter to maintaining hope for the bruised and battered Bulls.

In the early goings the Buffalo defense set the tone when Jeff Bublavi drilled UCF running back Dontavius Wilcox, forcing the fumble, which was recovered by the ever-reliable Mark Graham in the end zone for a touchback.

The result of the turnover was a 43-yard field goal by Dallas Pelz, giving UB an early 3-0 lead.

"For two weeks in a row we've been in a very competitive MAC game," said Hofher. "We didn't win them but the more we're knocking on the door, we will bang through that door. We fought valiantly in terms of red zone defense we forced field goals and we blocked one. I thought our guys really fought like crazy from a defensive perspective."

Although the defense did only allow 12 points, zero in the second half; they were shredded by Central Florida's running back Alex Haynes who had a career-high 169 yards on 30 carries, which translated into seven more minutes of ball-possession for the Knights.

Buffalo's tailback Dave Dawson made an admirable effort in the game, coming back after a UCF touchdown and busting off a 62-yard run that led to a Piskorik one-yard touchdown rumble to give the Bulls a 10-6 lead, the last one they would hold in the game.

Dawson finished with eight carries for 83 yards.

"Coach Hofher did a great job in some of the play calls to get me the ball and same with Coach Polian to get me the ball in certain situations," said Dawson.

UB fell behind before the half ended at 12-10, and after amassing 216 yards of offense in the first half, were completely stifled in the second, only generating 55 yards of total offense.

"We just have to come out and play a full four quarters like we do in the first half and break right through and get a win," said Piskorik.

"I thought that our team played outstanding for most of the game, but we just had some mistakes in the second half that hurt us," said Hofher.

The Bulls head to Miami of Ohio this weekend for a game at 2 p.m. on Saturday against the RedHawks.