NBA Preview (Part I of II)

The Beasts of the (L)eastern Conference

Poor, poor, pitiful me. That's what the Eastern Conference of the NBA says to itself every year, and rightfully so. In comparison to the West, the East looks like a bunch of scrub intramural players from Kalamazoo College. It isn't even a farce to say that the top three teams in the East couldn't even grab the eighth playoff spot in the West. It's the truth, actually.

Perhaps two of the only NBA fans remaining, Paul Feuer and Jim Byrne, have gone team by team in breaking down the Eastern Conference. Next to their initials is the place that each of them think the respective team will finish. The Western Conference Preview will run next Wednesday.

Atlanta Hawks (JB-14, PF-10) PF: The Hawks have basically told their fans they have given up on winning anything this decade, as they traded away one of their best players in Glenn Robinson for the contract of Terrell Brandon, who has played in fewer games in the past three years than Charlie Ward during his rookie year. Abdur-Rahim will still get his points and be a threat, but that's it. A finish near the bottom is inevitable, but hey, at least they're realistic.

Boston Celtics (JB-10, PF-7) JB: Antoine Walker had to go, but for Raef LaFrentz and his bloated contract? Ugh. That move might make Vin Baker pick the bottle back up. Nevertheless, this team will contend as long as Paul Pierce is Paul Pierce. Also look out for Mid-American Conference alum, Brandon Hunter.

Chicago Bulls (JB-7, PF-11) JB: A revival of the Bulls in the windy city may be imminent, so expect the "baby bulls," Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry, to spur the revolution. With breakouts from those two, and solid play from Donyell Marshall, Jalen Rose, Jamal Crawford and the homecoming Scottie Pippen, the Bulls should be playoff-bound. PF: This is the year we find out it was really Scottie who was the catalyst for the Bulls' previous six championships. Jay Williams hurt himself and his teams' chances of improving. Wait till next year.

Cleveland Cavaliers (JB-11, PF-3) JB: LeBron James recently said that the Cavaliers are still Ricky's team. Riiight. Are we talking about the same Ricky "triple-double" Davis? We'll see about that one. New coach Paul Silas will get this talented team to play together and maybe even to the brink of the playoffs. James' shooting percentage will be funny, which is not a good thing for Cav's fans. PF: Cleveland has been waiting for an explosive player like LeBron to come along ever since Mark Price retired and Danny Ferry left for San Antonio. A revised roster of young talented players that includes Darius Miles, Carlos Boozer, Davis and Ziggy Ilgauskas will cement Cleveland a playoff spot and a trip to the Eastern Conference Finals. Call me crazy, but LeBron is official.

Detroit Pistons (JB-4, PF-4) JB: Firing coach Rick Carlisle may have raised some eyebrows, but replacing him with the well-traveled Larry Brown was a good move. Brown is finally able to coach a team without having to deal with the headache of Allen Iverson, and is probably thanking all that is holy for that. Watch out for Rip Hamilton, an Allan Houston-like shooter with more charisma, to truly break out. PF: The biggest mistake this off-season was a move they didn't make, by drafting Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony. Ben Wallace will still grab his rebounds and then he'll be grabbing his plane ticket for the Bahamas after they are bounced from the playoffs.

Indiana Pacers (JB-2, PF-1) JB: Praise God, Isaiah Thomas is gone. I really don't know why Jermaine O'Neal was crying about Thomas getting the can, because this team is ??ber-talented and is only a good coach away from taking off. New skipper Rick Carlisle is that coach. PF: The team that got beat in the East is now the team to beat in the East. Their acquisition of Scott Pollard won't exactly make headlines, but they still have O'Neal, the East's version of Shaq, at the center spot. No more early exits.

Miami Heat (JB-5, PF-12) JB: My surprise team in the East, look for newly signed Lamar Odom to explode in the East and drop his troubled ways. Pat Riley has endured a couple of horrific seasons, but he has assembled a talented team with Caron Butler, Dwayne Wade, Eddie Jones and Brian Grant being a great cast for Odom. PF: Good thing they are in Miami, that way they won't have to travel far when they all vacation together during late April. Odom might wish he was back in Clipper Land instead of Disney Land.

Milwaukee Bucks (JB-12, PF-13) JB: George Karl, Ray Allen, Glenn Robinson, Sam Cassell and Gary Payton are all gone, which means this team is headed straight to the bottom. Right? Not so fast. A starting lineup that could consist of T.J. Ford, Tim Thomas, Toni Kukoc, Desmond Mason and Michael Redd could potentially be dangerous in the weak East. PF: Imagine if the Bucks were moved to the West like the Brewers in baseball? Other teams could be charged for first-degree murder. They should just stop showing up to games, which is what they might do. Replace the "B" in Bucks with an "S" and you have my exact opinion of them.

New Jersey Nets (JB-3, PF-2) PF: The Nets are still a young team and this year will try and drop the label of being the Buffalo Bills of the NBA. Kenyon Martin is a mini-Charles Barkley, and Jason Kidd is back (Nets' fans praise God, because without him it would have been over); it's frightening how good they can be.

New Orleans Hornets (JB-6, PF-5) JB: The Hornets have one last chance with the talented team that they have to make a run at the finals. Jamal Mashburn and Baron Davis are as good as anyone in the league at their positions, but next year they move to the big, bad West where they will be competing for table scraps with the likes of the Warriors and Clippers. The time is now. PF: Normally a staple for little girls starter jackets, the Hornets will be a thorn in the side of the East. They return all their core players in Mashburn, Davis, P.J. Brown and Jamaal Magloire, plus the addition of Darryl Armstrong. Mardi Gras might not be the only parade being celebrated in New Orleans this year.

New York Knicks (JB-9, PF- 9) JB: It all hinges on injury-plagued Antonio McDyess. If he can play a full, or even 60-game season, then a starting five consisting of him, Dikembe Mutombo, Keith Van Horn, Allan Houston, and either Howard Eisley or Charlie Ward at the point will make New York a legit playoff contender. If not, good night, drive home safely.

Orlando Magic (JB-1, PF- 8) JB: The immense load upon Tracy McGrady's shoulders has been lifted thanks to last season's trade for Drew Gooden, and this summer's signing of Juwan Howard. This should keep his back in good shape and spring the Magic further into the playoffs than they have recently been. Orlando always has the advantage of having the best player on the court with T-Mac, and that could spell a finals run this year.

Philadelphia 76ers (JB-8, PF- 6) JB: Every year Allen Iverson has a new second option, and every year it doesn't pan out. Maybe Glenn "big dog" Robinson will be different. Iverson is the toughest player in the league, and can single-handedly carry the team. Unfortunately, considering his style of play, he is more than due for a serious injury. PF: Allen Iverson may still be "the Answer," but the best answer of the off-season came from Derrick Coleman, who when asked how he felt about playing center responded, "I'll do whatever they ask me to do, anything to help the team win ... I don't really want to, but I'll do it." Oh how I miss DC in the metropolitan area.

Toronto Raptors (JB-13, PF-15) JB: It's pretty clear that the era of Vinsanity has ended. Oh, and how short lived it was. Betting the over/under of two on VISIONS readers is sadly a worse bet than that of the Raptors wishing they held onto Tracy McGrady instead of Carter. PF: The Raptors are the No. 2 team in the league! For contraction, that is. The missing posters for Vince Carter will be taken down this season as Vince returns to superstardom, but that's it. The best chance the Raptors have of going anywhere is in NBA Live 2003 for Play Station 2.

Washington Wizards (JB-15, PF-14) JB: No Michael Jordan, but they do have a new excellent coach in Eddie Jordan, the real brains behind the operations of the Nets' finals runs. Unfortunately for him, he won't have much to work with, considering Washington is a team that is highlighted by Christian Laettner and Gilbert Arenas. PF: With a roster that looks more like an attendance sheet for my Nutrition class, they might as well try to lose every game to get the No. 1 pick, but even they might mess that up.