Mighty Taco Student Section Debuts Tonight

Famous - or infamous, depending on one's point of view - student sections are found at every level of college basketball, from the "Cameron Crazies," who bleed blue and white for the Duke Blue Devils, to the "Rose Rowdies," who pester visitors that dare enter the Rose Arena while they root for the Central Michigan Chippewas.

Due to an undisclosed donation to UB from Andy Geravick, president of the Mighty Taco Corporation, the UB Bulls may establish their own intimidating student section.

Tonight will mark the debut of the "Mighty Maniacs," the nickname given to those who sign up to sit in the student section of Alumni Arena while the Bulls host Cornell University in their men's basketball season opener at 8:15 p.m.

Unlike the "Bull Pen" last year, which was placed behind the visiting team's basket, this year's student section is located behind the visitors' bench in sections F and G.

Students can sign up at a table in the Student Union from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays or immediately before every game. Each student who signs up will receive a blue, long-sleeve "Mighty Maniacs" T-shirt.

As always, UB students are admitted to the game free with their student identification.

"Andy said, 'Tell me what you need ... I've helped you guys before, and I'm ready to help you again,'" UB Head Coach Reggie Witherspoon said. "'If you need new uniforms or to charter a plane, whatever it is that you need.' Our response to Andy was, 'we need you to help us get more students to the games.' He said, 'You're on, tell me what you envision.'"

Witherspoon discussed the idea with Assistant Coach Jim Kwitchoff, and the two decided they were looking for an energetic student section full of UB's school colors.

"We thought if they were all dressed in long-sleeve, blue T-shirts and they had a name, and if you gave away prizes to that section to motivate them just a little bit more, then we thought that might help a little bit," Witherspoon said. "He said, 'Fine - I'll throw you a lot of money - we'll get you a lot of those long-sleeve T-shirts and give away a CD burner at every game.'"

The free CD burner giveaway will occur during every home game during winter break as well as a grand prize awarded at the end of the season to the mightiest maniac of all.

"For the Mighty Maniac who is there the most, shows the most school spirit, we have two tickets to the MAC Tournament with hotel lodging," said Rob Suglia, UB student relations coordinator.

However, Casey Weishan, assistant student relations coordinator, said students who want to win the CD burner must not only attend the games but sign up to become a part of the "Mighty Maniacs."

"As soon as you walk in, there will be a table set up in the arena for those people who have not registered as of yet," Weishan said. "They can register there before entering the section. For raffles, when you enter the gate, you get a raffle ticket. Then, we give away second half free items regardless, not based on the raffle."

UB's Greek organizations, on the other hand, have an incentive of their own to attend the basketball games and become regular Mighty Maniacs. UB will reward $500 to the fraternity or sorority with the most seasonal attendance.

Students who attend the game tonight may be seeing the table for the first time, since not one of the students The Spectrum spoke to had heard of the new "Mighty Maniacs" promotion.

"I want to go to the game because UB, the only sport they are good at is basketball," Brandon Kline, a sophomore architecture major, said. "I just want to go watch a team that can actually win a game."

"The basketball games are usually more entertaining, usually because they are more competitive and the competition is better than the football schedule," said Pat LaRow, a senior environmental design and architecture major.

Witherspoon, who has often commented on the difficulty of winning college basketball games on the road, especially in the Mid-American Conference, said a home team advantage is important because "momentum shifts are so huge" and a noisy crowd affects the visiting team's "ability to have poise and savvy."

"I think it influences the home team because it gives them adrenaline rush when they are on defense," Witherspoon said. "It makes them want to get on the floor after a loose ball and come up with brush burns all over their legs because they have a lot of people in attendance that are appreciating that."

"(It affects) even the officials," he added. "It brings them to a different level of focus as to what they are seeing sometimes."

According to Witherspoon, when he decided to give the money to promote the student section, he was hoping for game attendance by proactive students that will give UB a true home court advantage.

"Hey listen, come out and help us win," Witherspoon said. "If we get a large, enthused student section, (it) will impact the game."