The Longest Second

Witherspoon Goes Bull-istic After Controversial Call

Wide right, no goal, forward lateral; these phrases are all too common in the Western New York community. Now UB basketball has one more you can add to that list: time expired.

Western Michigan scored a stunning 60-59 victory over the Bulls when Steve Reynolds banked in the game-winning shot at the buzzer, after UB had seemingly won the game on a Robert Brown rebound and bucket with a mere 1.5 seconds remaining

As Reynolds demonstrated, a lot can happen in 1.5 seconds. Saturday night it was enough time to catch an in-bounds pass, dribble the ball to his left, throw a pump fake, and then hoist a shot from just inside the three point line that caromed off the backboard and into the net.

Or was it?

"We've already looked at the tape and just as we suspected, it's pretty impossible to do all that in 1.5 seconds," said Bulls Head Coach Reggie Witherspoon. "The clock started late. Is there anyone in the building who believes you can do all that in 1.5 seconds? If there is, have the guy explain it to me."

There were two people in the press conference room who felt 1.5 seconds was plenty of time.

"One point five, obviously, is enough time," said Broncos Head Coach Robert McCullum. "The play is a play that every team from junior high on up runs. He caught it so easily that he had time to turn, put the ball on the floor one time and put the shot up in 1.5 seconds."

"I was thinking if I didn't have enough time for a pass, I'd have enough time for a dribble," Reynolds said.

The way the timekeeper operated the clock, Reynolds might just have had enough time for a cup of coffee and a bagel too. The Western Michigan players' and coaches' comments notwithstanding, replay reviews show the timekeeper was slow on the trigger, waiting at least a full second before starting the game clock.

Western Michigan improved their record to 12-11, 5-7 in the MAC, while the Bulls dropped to 10-13, 5-7.

In a game that featured 29 ties or lead changes, none were more intriguing than those in the final 14 seconds.

With 25 seconds remaining in the game, Buffalo led by one point with freshman Mark Bortz going to the line with a chance to put Buffalo up by three. Bortz missed both free throws, giving the Broncos a chance to take the lead.

Reynolds did just that, knocking down an open jumper with 13.5 seconds left on the clock, putting his team up 58-57.

After a timeout, Louis Campbell penetrated the lane, drawing three defenders to his side. He got off a wild shot that Brown put back in with only 1.5 seconds left, setting the stage for Reynolds' heroics, and the timekeeper's error.

The disappointing loss overshadowed the tremendous effort put in by senior Darcel Williams, who finished with a game high 27 points, including six three pointers - both career highs. He shot 10-15 from the floor for the contest, connecting on 6-9 three pointers in the second half alone.

The only other Bull to record double figures in scoring was Louis Campbell, who finished with 10 points. Brown chipped in with nine.

Reynolds, who was one of four Western Michigan players in double figures, led the Broncos with 17 points.

Neither team shot the ball particularly well as Buffalo finished at 39.2 percent, while Western Michigan finished slightly worse at 36.4. However, there was a larger disparity at the foul line where the Broncos connected on 15-18 attempts for 83 percent, while Buffalo shot a dismal 13-23 from the line for only 57 percent.

But the story here was a classic case of home court disadvantage. "This wouldn't happen in any other arena in the MAC," said an outraged Witherspoon, who berated the timekeeper, the referees, and anyone else who would listen after the controversial call. "The calls always err in favor of the home team."

The Bulls, losers of seven of their last nine overall, are now officially in a slump. If Alumni Arena is proving to be unfriendly confines, the John E. Worthen Arena, where Buffalo will travel to play Ball State, won't exactly be rolling out the red carpet to greet them. The game is on Wednesday, Feb. 13, with a 7 p.m. tip off.