Letter To The Editor

Spectrum Erringly Criticizes President

In a Nov. 28 editorial entitled "Embryonic Cloning: A Healthy Future," The Spectrum questions the fact that "the personal moral structures of healthy politicians are far more important than ... benefit from medical treatments using cloned cells." The appropriate question to ask, however, is: "When did Americans decide that it is acceptable to sacrifice our morals in exchange for personal benefit?" The Spectrum suggests that anything that has benefits should be done, so long as its benefits outweigh its moral detriment. I suppose The Spectrum would also support the mass execution of the Afghan people, since aiding and avoiding killing them raises our taxes.

Furthermore, whether embryonic cloning is right or not, politicians are indeed the ones who need to make the choice. The president is supposed to be not only the leader of this country's government, but also the moral leader of America. We vote our leaders into office based on their beliefs and their morals; to ignore them once they are in power is illogical.

If you voted Bush into office, then you picked him as your representative. Even if you did not vote for Bush (as I'm sure most of The Spectrum staff did not), he is the chosen leader of the country, and his opinions are not to be ignored. If you don't like that, then you take issue with the very things that make this country great. Where would we be now if Bush had decided not to condemn and respond to the acts of war against this country? But those of us who put him in office knew him to be a strong and fair man, one who would stand up for and protect his country's citizens. We must put our faith in those we elect, and then allow them to make the choices that keep America moral.