Bobcats Bring Option Offense Into Cellar Dweller Showdown

From talking to players and coaches on the University at Buffalo football team, one would think this week's opponent, the Ohio Bobcats, are 6-1 instead of 1-6.

While their record is not a misprint, it is misleading; Ohio (1-6, 1-4 MAC) brings the nation's third-ranked rushing attack to UB Stadium to take on the Bulls (1-7, 0-6 MAC) Saturday at 1 p.m.

The Bobcats have faced some formidable opponents this season, losing tough road games to Akron and West Virginia. They have also taken on, and lost to, some of the MAC's best in Toledo and Miami (OH).

"They've probably had the [toughest] schedule of anybody we have faced," Bulls' linebacker Bobby Johnson said. "They have played good teams."

UB will face an offensive set that ranks behind only the University of Nebraska and Rice University in rushing yardage per game. The Bobcats are averaging 275 yards per game on the ground.

"The style of Ohio's offense is a four back offense, three backs and the quarterback all are runners," Bulls Head Coach Jim Hofher said. "There aren't many teams that use this style of offense."

"[They] take their halfbacks and put them up as slots which gives you a pass threat and now it becomes motion. Whether we can take advantage of them or not, there are very clear tendencies on what they do when motion is this way or that way."

Ohio will be the Bulls' most strategically challenging opponent, but Hofher and Johnson hinted toward the secrets to slowing down the Bobcats.

"What you have to have are clear assignment responsibilities on the dive, the quarterback, and the pitch that goes to the halfback," Hofher said.

"There is a lot of misdirection, if you key the halfbacks your gonna be wrong," Johnson said. "You have to look for tendencies on the line with guards pulling."

"I don't think we can stop it, I just hope to contain it."

This year, the Bulls have not faced, nor will again face, an offensive set like Ohio's.

"There is no other game film this year that we can pull out and say that's how we defended that formation," Hofher said. You don't have that when you face a team that runs the option, or runs option-oriented football like OU. We have got to do a great job in a short period of time to get our team prepared."

"I think this is the most troublesome offense to prepare for [this season] because you don't see it every week," Johnson said. "When someone misses an assignment, they can easily bust it."

Ohio's four back offense consists of two halfbacks, a fullback and a quarterback. Redshirt freshman Stafford Owens and senior Jamel Patterson start at tailback, while junior Joe Sherrill is at fullback.

The quarterback position is not as cut and dry for the Bobcats. Starting QB Dontrell Jackson suffered a concussion against Miami (OH) two weeks ago and was held out of last week's 24-14 loss to Kent State. Jackson has practiced all week and will likely return tomorrow. If Jackson cannot play, Freddy Ray will make his second-straight start.

Ohio's most notable individual player is punter Dave Zastudil. The senior has been selected to participate in the 2002 Hula Bowl, the national college football all-star game. He is also a finalist for the Ray Guy Award, given to the nation's best punter.

"They have a sensational, NFL-caliber punter," Hofher said. "Friends of mine that are in personnel in the NFL all have to go evaluate this guy."

Offensively, Buffalo will face an Ohio 3-4 defense that is similar to Central Michigan's, often times rushing a linebacker and playing more like a 4-3.

Hofher indicated that the Bobcats' defense is not overly complicated.

"We have got to focus on our own execution," Hofher said. "What we see is what we'll get, and it's fairly easy to see."