UB Study Abroad Going Strong

Not wanting to draw attention to itself, an American school in Seville, Spain, took down all signs around campus bearing its name in response to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Like many other organizations affected by the attacks, study abroad programs are being forced to address the current international situation and implement changes in their operations.

Some students had already begun their overseas programs, while others had not yet started their academic programs for the fall semester when the United States was attacked.

"Students abroad had mixed emotions after the attacks," said Sandra Flash, director of study abroad programs at UB. "They wanted to be here to give support to the people directly affected. They felt almost guilty that they were away and safer than their friends and family here."

One student from UB, scheduled to leave within three days of the attacks, opted not to study abroad.

"That student, in consultation with his family, just felt a little less comfortable going, especially due to the uncertainty of what was to still come," said Flash.

Some students who had not yet departed inquired about emergency plans but chose to continue with the programs. According to Flash, a few students at other SUNY schools who were overseas did decide to return home.

Despite the attacks, student interest in studying abroad remains high. UB's Study Abroad Fair, held in the Student Union lobby two weeks ago, represented 11 SUNY schools and attracted over 300 students, the highest level of participation ever, said Flash.

Not all prospective participants are deterred by the ongoing war.

"I would still go," said Yaminah Stanley, a senior theater major. "I would be scared and apprehensive, but you can't be scared and put your life on hold. That's what the terrorists want."

UB's International Crisis Response Team, including the director of international studies, vice provost for international education, director of international student scholarship services, representatives from graduate and undergraduate advisement, two representatives from the medical insurance office, the vice president for student affairs and the dean of student affairs, met after the Sept. 11 tragedy to discuss emergency protocol.

"We called everyone together and reviewed everything, making sure it was up to date," said Flash. "We're in constant contact so that we're prepared to bring students back if necessary."

Immediately following the attacks, the study abroad office created a listserv for all UB students in university or SUNY programs and sent out a message regarding how UB was handling the attacks, how to keep on top of the State Department travel advisories for U.S. citizens, and to provide contact information for students in need of assistance. Flash wrote to overseas exchange partner institutions asking them to keep in touch with UB students on their campuses to provide support.

"Deciding to come was the most difficult decision that I ever had to make, but I am so glad that I have arrived and worked up the courage to come," said Tina Breakell, a senior English major currently studying abroad in London.

Host institutions worked to provide support to students studying abroad. Many American students gathered together to talk about the incident and put themselves in touch with campus counseling centers.

"The university I am attending had a few memorial services and get-togethers for the American students," stated Danielle Koshofer, a UB student studying abroad in Australia. "They also offered free counseling and phone calls home."

"It has been really heartwarming to see that another country, on the other side of the world, feels like they cannot say or do enough to make us Americans feel completely at home," stated Koshofer.

Students abroad find heightened security while traveling necessary, even desirable. Steven Severenko, a senior marketing major currently studying in Ireland, considers the added security during traveling more comforting than threatening. When leaving Paris to go to Dublin, for example, he saw four French security guards armed with automatic machine guns as he passed through the security detectors at the airport.

"I was happier than I would be if they weren't there," said Severenko. "These guns were something out of a movie, and it just gave me more confidence that it would be a safe flight. We shouldn't be scared of them, we should feel more safe because of them."

In the future, the study abroad office plans to provide students with more information about the U.S. State Department travel advisories. The advisories are available on the department Web site and those registered will receive updated worldwide cautions and country advisories via e-mail.

Flash said she also intends to place more emphasis on registering students with U.S. consulates and embassies in their host countries.

"Even in times when there does not seem to be an imminent threat, I think it would always be wise for students to always register with the consulates and embassies just so that they're aware of the presence abroad and are able to help them if the unforeseen comes up."

UB has minimal offerings for overseas study in the Middle East. Over the past few years, UB advertised summer programs to Jordan and Syria but has been unable to run the program due to insufficient enrollment. The program offering will not be renewed this year due to lack of interest. Other SUNY schools are continuing to offer programs to the Middle East.

"I hope this will bode well for the future of our field, rather than the demise of it," said Flash. "It's only through more understanding and exchange where we'll be able to avoid events like these in the future."