News briefs: Hillary and Bill Clinton visit Buffalo

What to know locally, nationally and globally

Locally

Hillary and Bill Clinton to come to Western New York

A former president and a presidential candidate hopeful will visit the Western New York area this week. Bill Clinton, 42 president of the United States, will be in Depew on Tuesday as a featured speaker at a rally, according to WGRZ. An announcement on the Clinton campaign site called it an “organizing event with Bill Clinton.” Hillary Clinton, who is currently running against Bernie Sanders as Democratic nominee hopeful, is set to visit Buffalo on April 8, however no details regarding her visit have been released as of yet. The New York State primary will be April 19.

Local restaurant to open location near UB’s North Campus

A Buffalo staple will soon be expanding right down the street from UB’s North Campus. Anchor Bar is looking to open a Maple Road location – which would be their largest location yet – by mid-June or July, according to The Buffalo News. This would be the sixth Anchor Bar location with three currently in the Western New York area and two in Canada. Anchor Bar is known as the “home of the original chicken wing.”

Nationally

Amtrak workers killed in train crash

Two Amtrak construction workers were killed in a train crash Sunday after the train ran into a backhoe that was on the track. The train, which was carrying 341 passengers, was traveling from New York to Georgia before the crash occurred in Philadelphia, resulting in 37 injured individuals and two fatalities according, to CNN. Although an investigation is currently pending, it appears the two workers were working on the wrong line and should not have been working on a line that was considered “active” with large machinery.

California and New York State raise minimum wage

California and New York State are looking to enact legislation that will raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour – the highest in the nation. California Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill that raises the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020 while New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill that would gradually raise minimum wage, according to Fox News. Currently, the federal minimum wage is $7.25.

Globally

Panama papers cause global outrage

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists published a leak of documents on Sunday which allegedly link many high ranking government officials – including Argentinian President Mauricio Macri and associates of Russian President Vladimir Putin – to a clandestine network, according to CNN. More than 11 million documents are allegedly connected to the Panama law firm Mossack Fonesca, which helped establish shell companies and offshore accounts for several officials across the globe. Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugsson resigned Tuesday after documents released as part of the papers revealed his links to an offshore company.

Beijing censoring searches relating to Panama Papers

China’s online censors are restricting search results on social media about the Panama Papers, including the names of relatives of former and current Chinese leaders who are discussed in the reports, according to CNN. Although some organizations in China have released the reports, many don’t mention anything to do with China.

The news desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com.