UB recruit Max Bortenschlager de-commits to go to Maryland

Buffalo’s lone quarterback recruit goes from Bulls to Terps

<p>The football team walks off the field after its 24-21 loss to Nevada in September.&nbsp;</p>

The football team walks off the field after its 24-21 loss to Nevada in September. 

Just days before the football team can officially sign its 2016 recruiting class, it will do so without its lone quarterback recruit.

UB commit Max Bortenschlager officially changed his commitment yesterday, as he opted to commit to the University of Maryland. Bortenschlager tweeted yesterday that he was “excited and thankful to say” that he was an officially committing to the University of Maryland.

Buffalo is already losing one of the most decorated quarterbacks in program history in Joe Licata and his backup Tony Daniel, as both have exhausted their eligibility. The Bulls currently have three quarterbacks on the roster: sophomore Chris Merchant, freshman Tyree Jackson and senior Collin Michael.

The Bulls are also bringing in former Iowa State quarterback Grant Rohach.

Bortenschalger was rated as Buffalo’s best incoming recruit on the offensive side of the ball, receiving a grade of 70 and given a three-star rating from ESPN. The ranking placed him second overall on Buffalo’s list of recruits, behind linebacker Tyreek Williams, who also de-committed from the Bulls to attend the Rutgers University.

National Signing Day is on Wednesday. Head coach Lance Leipold will hold a press conference in Alumni Arena at noon Wednesday to discuss the Bulls’ incoming class.

Quentin Haynes is the co-senior sports editor and can be reached at quentin.haynes@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @HaynesTheWriter.