Catching up with some of best recent UB Bulls

The Spectrum looks into what former Buffalo student-athlete are doing now

<p>Will Regan cuts down the nets after the Bulls' 77-75 victory over Bowling Green.  </p>

Will Regan cuts down the nets after the Bulls' 77-75 victory over Bowling Green.  

They were some of the most prolific players to ever wear the blue and white.

They broke records, won championship and brought some prominence to Mid-Major program over the course of their careers. But what happens to these players after they walk for graduation?

The Spectrum caught up with a few recent Bulls graduates from the past few years.

Will Regan – men’s basketball

Then:

After transferring home to Buffalo after one season Virginia, Regan was a vital part of the Bulls rotation his the last three years. Regan was forward that could shoot the 3 and helped his team win its first Mid-American Conference Tournament Championship.

Regan’s biggest moment of his senior season came against Bowling Green, where he scored 17 points, grabbed eight rebounds and went 5-of-10 from three en route to Buffalo winning their second consecutive Mid-American Conference East title.

Now:

Regan interned for Deloitte, a financial consulting firm, and trained for the Certified Accountant Program (CPA) exam over the summer. He received an offer to play basketball in Macedonia, but decided to turn it down.

“Right now, I accepted an offer with Deloitte for next September,” Regan said. “I’m still deciding on whether I want to take a winter internship, it allows me to get my next two summers off.”

Along with his internship, Regan is also planning on finishing up the final two parts of the CPA exam before the end of November.

Jonathan Jones – track and field

Then:

Jones closed out his career at UB by bringing home the school’s first-ever NCAA Championship at the NCAA Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon this past June. Jones became a six-time All-American at Buffalo and was 26 centimeters away from representing the United States at the World Championships in Beijing, China. After missing out on the World Championships, Jones competed at the Pan-Am Games in Toronto, Canada and placed fifth.

Now:

Today, Jones isn’t that far away from the same place that made him a champion.

After a stellar career, Jones is a volunteer coach for UB and assisting younger throwers on technique and training for events. Still an Olympic hopeful, Jones hopes to get back into the throwing circle within the next month.

Jones hopes to get into events as a professional by the middle of February in hopes of making it to the 2020 Olympic Games.

“I’m trying to get myself in the best professional shape I can be in,” Jones said. “Through the team USA Olympic team, I found myself a job, so my plan is to work, then get back in that circle for my first season as a professional.”

Nick Sinay – baseball

Then:

Sinay was one of Buffalo’s best offensive players in the baseball team’s history, but it was his ability to steal bases that set him apart.

In his senior season, Sinay broke the Bulls all-time stolen base record. Sinay finished the 2015 season batting.326 and 38 stolen bases.

Now:

After his senior season, Sinay was drafted in the 22nd round of the 2015 MLB draft by the Toronto Blue Jays. In his rookie ball debut with the Bluefield Blue Jays, Toronto’s Class-A affiliate, Sinay hit .227 with six stolen bases and four doubles in 88 plate appearances. With the season finished, Sinay is taking a break from baseball to give his body rest.

“It was a long season,” Sinay said, “I needed a rest by the end of it. I’ll start throwing again in December, get in the cage and take a few at the beginning of the year and by the time that starts, we’re about five, six weeks out anyway. I want to ready for March.”

His plan is to begin training by the New Year to be ready for Spring Training in March.

Carissa McKenna – volleyball

Then:

McKenna was a prized member of the volleyball team, playing middle blocker from 2010-13. In her four-year career, McKenna finished with 532 kills and 157 digs as a middle blocker for the Bulls and also picked up Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week on two separate occasions.

Now:

McKenna is a corporate recruiter at Magna Powertrain in the Detroit, Michigan area. Magna is currently one of the top automotive supply companies in the world. While she stopped playing, she is still making an impact for the next generation, coaching volleyball for the Legacy Volleyball club and for her high school, Walled Lake Northern in Commerce Charter Township, Michigan.

Khalil Mack – football

Then:

Mack, a former outside linebacker, is the highest profile player to ever graduate from Buffalo and his stats prove why.

In his senior season alone, Mack notched his third straight spot on the first team All-MAC team, was second in voting for the Butkus award, which recognizes the best linebacker in the nation and won MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

He finished his career in Buffalo with 327 tackles, 28.5 sacks, 75 tackles for losses and four interceptions.

Now:

The Oakland Raiders selected Mack fifth overall in the 2014 NFL Draft and he’s made an immediate difference for a struggling defense. He finished last season with 76 combined tackles and four sacks and was top-3 in voting for last year’s Rookie of the Year balloting.

He has since switched to defensive end from his natural linebacker position, but he has not dropped off in production. He has 13 tackles and three sacks through four games this season.

Branden Oliver – football

Then:

From 2010-13, Oliver branded himself as one of the most polished running backs to ever play for Buffalo. He finished his Bulls career with 33 rushing touchdowns and was twice a member of the first team All-MAC squad.

He is also Buffalo’s all-time rushing leader with 4,049 yards over his four-year career.

Now:

After going undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers signed him to a contract at the beginning of the preseason.

His breakout performance came in Week Five against the New York Jets, where he rushed for 114 yards and a touchdown and grabbed 68 more yards and a touchdown through the air. He finished his rookie campaign with 582 yards and three rushing touchdowns.

In his second year with the Chargers, Oliver is listed as the third-string running back behind Melvin Gordon and Danny Woodhead, and has 32 yards on 11 carries for the 2015 season.

Quentin Haynes is the co-senior sports editor and can be reached at quentin.haynes@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @Haynes_Spectrum.