Wednesday, May 01, 2024

The grapevine

A weekly listing of Buffalo’s sonic selections

As summer draws its final breaths and fall is ushered in, Buffalo enters a new season for music activity. In this weekly installment of The Grapevine, Buffalo exhibits a large variety of artists and venues, ranging from outdoor Indie rock concerts at Artpark lawn to hard, head-mashing electro in the intimate Waiting Room. Come out and see your favorite artists perform or get out and discover new ones – take your pick.

Monday, Sept. 21

Built to Spill – Town Ballroom

Indie rock back Built to Spill will be bringing its eclectic act to Buffalo on Monday. Known for its unique and diverse cover songs including Dinosaur Jr., David Bowie, Brian Eno, Cat Stevens and more, Built to Spill is always sure to have a funky and fun live set. The Idaho natives have been playing and touring since 1992. Venture out and learn a think or two about rocking out from these inveterate rockers.

Ace Frehley – University at Buffalo

Rock and roll at its purest – Ace Frehley will be coming to play at UB on Monday. The former KISS frontman embarked on his solo career after leaving the band in 1982 – his first solo album was certified Platinum. Frehley is known as one of the most talented guitarists on the planet, capable of melting your face off with his incendiary solos. Come out to see a legend in action.

Tuesday, Sept. 22

Alabama Shakes – Artpark

Alabama Shakes began its rise to fame in 2009. Since then, the band has gone on to receive three Grammy nominations and a record deal with ATO Records. It is one of the more popular rock bands of the modern era, hailing from Alabama. On Tuesday, for one of the last outdoor concerts of the summer, the group will be performing at Artpark in Lewiston. Come out and enjoy the last summer days by lying on the Artpark lawn and jamming to some rock music.

Wednesday, Sept. 23

Worriers – Sugar City

A small Brooklyn punk rock outfit, the Worriers are on tour for their first full length, Imaginary Life. They will be coming to Buffalo this Wednesday to show off how punk they are. Spearheaded by former The Measure singer and guitarist Lauren Denitzio, the Worriers are fresh up-and-comers trying to see how far they can make it. If the Buffalo underground rock scene is your thing, come see the Worries at Sugar City.

Thursday, Sept. 24

Hot Tuna – Asbury Hall

Blues rock band Hot Tuna will be coming to Asbury Hall on Thursday. The veteran band was founded of Jack Casady and Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane in San Francisco in 1969. The band is known for its onstage wit and plucky blues solos and it has a dedicated following among blues fanatics. The show will be a relaxed function – come and listen to the slowed down blues grooves and wind down with these veteran musicians.

Friday, Sept. 25

Fight CLVB – Waiting Room

New York City artist Fight Clvb, an up-and-coming electronic dance music duo, will be bringing its brand of party to Buffalo. The duo got its start opening for higher profile EDM artists such as David Guetta and Steve Aoki. Now on a solo tour, the duo is coming to Buffalo to shake the house and dance the night away. Come rage on Friday at the Waiting Room with Fight CLVB before you go downtown and rage some more.

Saturday, Sept. 26

Eric Paslay – University at Buffalo

American country musician Eric Paslay is on tour for his self-titled debut album. Lauded for the variety of his playing styles, from folk to rock, the Texan singer sings about what all good country musicians sing about – drinking, loving and getting over love. He will be performing at UB on Saturday – get your flannels ready.

Brian Windschitl is the senior arts editor and can be reached at arts@ubspectrum.com