UB Bulls open MAC play Saturday against the RedHawks

The Bulls host Miami Ohio this weekend in their first MAC game of the season. The RedHawks’ ‘D’ is allowing 31 points per game to begin 2014. Courtesy of Miami Ohio Athletics

The football team had three disappointing outings through its first four games this season. Buffalo lost in what were mostly one-sided affairs to Army and Baylor, and had to rally to defeat Duquesne, a Football Championship Subdivision team.

But none of those performances will hinder the team’s run at a Mid-American Conference title.

After four nonconference games to begin the season, the Bulls (2-2) begin MAC play against Miami Ohio (0-4) Saturday at UB Stadium.

“Every game brings on a new and exciting challenge,” said head coach Jeff Quinn. “This one is no different. [Miami Ohio] is coached better [than recent years]. It’s going to take everything we have to get a victory.”

The RedHawks’ first-year head coach Chuck Martin previously served as offensive coordinator under Brian Kelly at Norte Dame. Quinn also served as an offensive coordinator under Kelly when Kelly was head coach at Cincinnati.

Quinn and Martin’s connection goes further. The two were assistants together at Grand Valley State and won two Division II national championships together in 2002 and 2003. Quinn’s son even used to babysit Martin’s children.

“We’re friends,” Quinn said. “We’ll be competitors too [Saturday].”

Miami Oho has lost its last 20 games – dating back to 2012. Buffalo defeated the RedHawks 27-24 in 2012, which started the Miami Ohio losing streak. The Bulls rousted the RedHawks 44-7 last season.

But this season, the RedHawks have gone “toe-to-toe” with quality opponents, according to Quinn. The RedHawks lost 42-27 to Marshall in Week One, led by Heisman Trophy candidate Rakeem Cato, and fell to Cincinnati by just a touchdown last weekend.

The RedHawks’ offense averages 17.8 points per game and quarterback Andrew Hendrix has thrown for 1,104 yards through four games. Buffalo junior quarterback Joe Licata has 1,099 passing yards.

The Miami Ohio passing attack features wide receiver David Frazier, who has caught 22 passes for 429 yards and two touchdowns this season. The RedHawks’ Rokeem Williams, Jared Murphy and Dawan Scott have all totaled at least 10 catches and a touchdown.

Miami Ohio’s run game has not been as impressive.

The RedHawks have 295 yards and one rushing touchdown this season.

“[Miami Ohio is] throwing the ball a little more than they’re running,” Quinn said. “Each game [Hendrix is] getting better … He’s got a couple nice receivers to get the ball to. Certainly they’re going to be a handful for our defense, so it’s going to be exciting to see how we defend them.”

Buffalo’s defense is preparing for Miami’s ‘no back’ style of offense, a six-man protection scheme where a tight end is attached to the offensive line to block as opposed to a running back blocking in the backfield.

After allowing more than 322 and 480 passing yards to Duquesne and Baylor, respectively, the Bulls’ ‘D’ allowed only three passing completions to Norfolk State in last Saturday’s 36-7 win.

Linebacker Kent Kern leads RedHawks’ defense with 39 tackles and has recorded two sacks. Defensive lineman Bryson Albright leads the team with three sacks.

Licata will have to look out for RedHawks’ cornerback Quinten Rollins, who has four interceptions through the team’s first four games.

The Bulls’ offense will be without sophomore running back Jordan Johnson, who will miss the game with a knee injury, but junior running back Devin Campbell will return after missing last week’s game.

Senior linebacker Lee Skinner said the Bulls understand the magnitude of Saturday’s game as their first contest toward the MAC standings.

“Any game is crucially important,” Skinner said. “But when you open up MAC play, that’s when the championship is on the line. That’s what the focus is and that’s what everybody understands.”

Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m. on Saturday and will be the Bulls’ homecoming game. The game will also be featured on ESPN3.

email: sports@ubspectrum.com

MIAMI OHIO vs. BUFFALO (-6): Staff predictions

Owen O’Brien, Managing Editor

@owenobri (4-0): Buffalo

The RedHawks are on a 20-game losing streak. Even though they’ve played better this year, UB should still win by at least a touchdown.

Tom Dinki, Senior Sports Editor

@tomdinki (4-0): Buffalo

The RedHawks have played well against some solid opponents. They’re better than their record suggests, but Buffalo should still win by a touchdown.

Andy Koniuch, Sports Editor

@andykoniuch (3-1): Buffalo

There’s no reason why Buffalo should lose to an 0-4 team. Turnovers and ball possession could change that.

Jordan Grossman, Asst. Sports Editor

@jordangrossman (4-0): Buffalo

It depends on which defense is going to show up: The defense against Army or against Norfolk State? I’m taking the latter.