Dyaisha Fair and Summer Hemphill selected for preseason All-MAC honors teams

<p>Freshman guard Dyaisha Fair goes in for a shot during the game against the Akron Zips Wednesday night in the Alumni Arena.</p>

Freshman guard Dyaisha Fair goes in for a shot during the game against the Akron Zips Wednesday night in the Alumni Arena.

On Thursday, the Mid-American Conference announced their preseason women’s basketball honors. UB sophomore guard Dyaisha Fair was named to the All-MAC First Team while redshirt senior forward Summer Hemphill was named to the All-MAC second team. 

UB ranked fourth in the preseason poll which was voted by the league’s 12 head coaches. 

After being named MAC Freshman of the Year and to the All-MAC Second Team last season, Fair continues to see the awards rolling in as she’s already been named to both the Nancy Lieberman and Becky Hammon Award watch lists. Fair averaged 22.0 points per game last season, fourth in the nation. She also averaged 2.8 steals per contest. 

Fair joins Ball State’s Oshlynn Brown, Central Michigan’s Micaela Kelly and Ohio’s Erica Johnson and Cece Hooks on the first team. 

Summer Hemphil.JPG
The Spectrum Archives

Junior forward Summer Hemphill converts the tough layup. The Bulls, without Hemphill, lacked their best athlete on the court.

Despite sitting out last season due to injury, Hemphill has already been named to the Cheryl Miller Award watch list. With this selection, it is her third straight preseason All-MAC honor. She only needs 81 points this season to become UB’s 27th 1,000 point-scorer and is already top-ten in school history with 759 rebounds. 

She is joined on the second team by Akron’s Jordyn Dawson, Central Michigan’s Molly Davis and Kyra Bussell and Eastern Michigan’s Areanna Combs. 

As for the 2020-21 season, the Bulls rank fourth out of 12 teams, where they accumulated 108 total points. 

UB Women’s Basketball begins their season at Alumni Arena against the Gannon Golden Knights on Wednesday, Nov. 25 at 1 p.m. The game will air live on ESPN+. 

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.