Fans pack UB Stadium for fifth-largest recorded attendance in team history

<p>Saturday's game attendance of 23,671 was the fifth highest ever at UB Stadium and the largest crowd since 2014 with representatives from the Orange Bowl committee present.&nbsp;</p>

Saturday's game attendance of 23,671 was the fifth highest ever at UB Stadium and the largest crowd since 2014 with representatives from the Orange Bowl committee present. 

The fifth-largest crowd ever recorded of 23,671 fans shuffled into UB Stadium on Saturday to see an undefeated Bulls football team lose 42-13 the Army Black Knights. The record surpasses the 23,602 fans in attendance against Eastern Michigan on Oct. 5, 2013.

UB football has struggled to fill the stands at UB Stadium ever since returning to Division I in 1999. In almost 20 years, the Bulls failed to have back-to-back winning seasons. Finishing 6-6 last season and off to a 4-1 start this year, the Bulls are slowly attracting more fans to Amherst on Saturdays.

Saturday’s crowd is the largest drawn to UB since facing the Baylor Bears in 2014. The stadium was at full capacity with the North Grandstand removed. It was taken out this spring to make room for the new Murchie Family Fieldhouse. 

Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher attended as well as representatives from the Orange Bowl Committee. 

The Bulls hosted alumni weekend for its former players and celebrated the 2008 MAC Championship team in between the first and second quarters. 

After the game, head coach Lance Leipold thanked the community for its support.

“I want to thank all our fans and all the people that came out,” Leipold said. “We are really appreciative of the atmosphere. Our crowd [is] obviously the best since we have been here. I was disappointed in our performance today. Hopefully, for those whose first time it was here today, [they] will come back and watch this team compete.”

Nathaniel Mendelson is the sports editor and can be reached at nathaniel.mendelson@ubspectrum.com and on Twitter @NateMendelson