UB Bull Raheem Johnson receives medical waiver, will return next season

Johnson missed all but one game after foot injury

<p>Senior forward Raheem Johnson watches his teammates practice in Providence, Rhode Island&nbsp;on March 16,&nbsp;the day before their NCAA Tournament game against Miami.&nbsp;</p>

Senior forward Raheem Johnson watches his teammates practice in Providence, Rhode Island on March 16, the day before their NCAA Tournament game against Miami. 

The Mid-American Conference has granted Raheem Johnson a medical hardship waiver and the senior forward will get one more year of eligibility.

Johnson missed all but one game this past season. After missing the early part of the season with a foot injury, Johnson scored four points and grabbed seven rebounds against Iowa State on Dec. 7 before re-injuring his foot and missing the rest of the season.

The medical hardship waiver was expected, as the team did not honor Johnson on Senior Night with the other seniors who have exhausted their eligibility. 

Johnson averaged 2.8 points and 2.5 rebounds a game for the Bulls two season ago, his first in Buffalo after transferring from Barton Community College. He played under current Bulls head coach Nate Oats at Romulus High School outside Detroit, Michigan.

Players are eligible to receive a medical redshirt if they suffer a season-ending injury before the halfway point of the season and before they compete in at least 30 percent of their team's games or three contests, whichever is greater.

Tom Dinki is the editor in chief and can be reached at tom.dinki@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @tomdinki.