Pentagon's secrecy regarding chemical agents endangers troops and insults veterans

Americans exposed is over 30 times more than original statement

In an extensive investigation published in October, The New York Times revealed that American troops in Iraq were exposed to chemical agents. At the time, the tally of Americans exposed was 17 – The Times noted that officials said the exact count was “slightly higher” but classified.

Now, it’s come to light that the “slightly higher” number is actually more than 600 Americans.

For over 10 years, the Pentagon managed to maintain a shroud of secrecy over the presence of abandoned chemical weapons in Iraq, even as soldiers were exposed to the agents, including sulfur mustard and sarin gas.

As increasing numbers of veterans came forward after the newspaper’s initial report, the Pentagon was forced to disclose the dangerous reality that they had hidden from the public for so long.

Anything the government does now to address the situation – the Pentagon is just now offering a hotline for service members who may have been exposed – will serve as nothing but insufficient retribution for a selfish, thoughtless decision that endangered the lives of Americans serving their country.

Not only did the Pentagon’s reticence harm veterans exposed to the agents, but the lack of information shared with troops endangered those on the frontlines as well.

The government’s secrecy extended even to military doctors, so that injured soldiers did not have access to proper medical care after coming into contact with life-threatening chemical agents.

And the Pentagon has no excuses, much less justification.

There can be no claims of ignorance – only incompetence – regarding the exposure experienced by hundreds of soldiers.

According to Col. Jerome Buller, a spokesmen for the Army surgeon general, 629 service members responded affirmatively on their post-deployment health assessments when asked if they could have been exposed to chemical, biological or radiological warfare and provided additional information about their exposure.

And yet, the military did not track the data, provide follow-ups for veterans who were suffered from medical issues after their exposure or provide any form of warning to either troops or the Department of Veteran Affairs.

The reason for this decision – this life-threatening decision – remains unclear. Clarity does not seem likely to be forthcoming. Nor does change – after all, the Department of Veteran Affairs even today makes it difficult for Vietnam War veterans to receive compensation for exposure to Agent Orange.

Adding further insult to incredible injury: According to The Times, of the six incidents in which soldiers were injured by chemical agents, five of those occurrences involved munitions designed by the United States.

The government doesn’t need further reason to be ashamed of their conduct toward its service members, but the full extent of their incompetence must be brought to light – and condemned.

America’s troops risked their lives to protect their country. It’s not much to ask that the government risk its reputation to do the same for its veterans.

email: editorial@ubspectrum.com