UB on the Green returns for eighth year

UB On the Green will return to South Campus’ Hayes Hall lawn for its eighth year of live music and family-friendly activities. Courtesy of the Office of Community Relations

UB on the Green will return to South Campus’ Hayes Hall lawn for its eighth year from July 16 to Aug. 6.

The free live music concert series will feature themed event nights and tabling from local organizations and vendors on Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., according to Community Relations Associate Matthew Steven Kopalek.

Musical acts will include The Soul Providers, a classic soul band; 12/8 Path Band; Neville Francis & The Riddim Posse, a reggae group; and The Heritage, a country band.

Each night will also have its own theme – such as Buffalo Night, where many City of Buffalo departments and services will table to offer information, answer questions and assist in learning more about services offered by the city.

UB Athletics Night will take place on the last day. The athletics department will recreate the excitement and energy of UB football games by bringing the tailgating experience to UB on the Green, according to Todd Garzarelli, senior associate athletics director for external affairs.

The day will include family-friendly activities including inflatable games, face painting and speed pitching. Members from UB sports teams will also make appearances at the event.

Garzarelli believes it is important to give back to the community.

“UB on the Green has been a standing tradition on South Campus,” he said. “We feel it’s important to do something from the university and athletic standpoint to help the South Campus and community around South Campus.”

This year will also feature a free prize raffle, according to Kopalek.

Participants can receive raffle tickets for each night they attend. Tickets will also be handed out by vendors and service providers tabling at the event. Prizes will be raffled off on Aug. 6, the last day of the performance series.

Ivan Mah, a sophomore occupational therapy major, said the event gives the community a better view of South Campus and is interested in attending one of the events.

“I think this is an attractive event that really brings out more in South Campus than just science buildings, dorms and ‘party’ houses,” he said.

UB on the Green started in 2007 from a community engagement task force with the goals of improving the UB community. One of the critiques was of the campus itself, said Linwood Roberts Jr., director of Community Relations.

“UB, even though there is no lawn fence, one felt [he or she] couldn’t go on the lawn to sit around or fly a kite,” he said.

Roberts said members of the community felt even though it was an open space, it “didn’t have that feel.”

As a result, the Office of Community Relations created a free concert series to encourage people to go on the lawn. UB on the Green offers a fun, community-centered summer event for all ages.