Pan-seared salmon with a dry rub and steamed green beans
I have always been a fan of food and cooking. In my free time, I'm at home testing and tweaking recipes - creating dishes that appeal to my taste.
However, during winter recess, I enjoyed cooking holiday favorites a little too much, as is the case with many people. I developed some unhealthy eating habits. My mom makes the best clove meatball cookies. When they are lying around the house, I tend to eat them in passing. Headed to the kitchen? I think I'll have another cookie.
I saw two healthy recipes on wegmans.com and decided to combine and mesh them to my liking. It's an affordable meal and takes around 40 minutes to cook - perfect for the novice chef.
Pan-seared salmon with dry rub and steamed green beans:
1. One piece of salmon is preferable, considering this is the time of the year people are trying to cut down after holiday hibernation. But feel free to cook two if you would like.
2. Take about 1-2 tbsp of Old Bay seafood seasoning and coat both sides of the salmon. There are enough flavors in that small amount so it's not over powering.
3. Turn two of your stovetop burners to a medium-high setting and add 1tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp of basting oil to each pan.
4. While you are waiting for the pans to heat up, grab a mixing bowl and add as many green beans as you want. I usually do 1/2 cup to 1 cup of green beans.
5. Lightly coat your green beans with salt and pepper.
6. By this time, your pans should be heated and ready to go. Place your green beans in one pan and your salmon in another.
7. Let the salmon cook in the pan until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. (Just make sure when you are checking the internal temperature, you are placing your thermometer in to the thickest part of the fish. If you don't own a thermometer, cook until it flakes when you stick a fork in it.) For the green beans, cook them about 3-5 minutes or until tender.
8. Place on a plate and let it sit for two minutes.
Pan-seared salmon: 506 calories, 34.72 g total fat, 51 mg cholesterol, 52 mg sodium, 0 carbohydrates, 0 dietary fiber, 0 sugar, 24.82 g protein.
Green beans: 180 calories, 10 g carbohydrates, (4 g fiber), 4 g protein, 14 g fat, (2 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 630 mg sodium.
This should help get you on the right track of eating healthier. I know it has helped me a little bit. Plus, I've learned by cooking more and more what my personal preferences are when combining recipes to make entrÃ©es that I like. More importantly, I know that it is difficult to eat healthy, but the more you cook, the more you become proud of the dishes you make.
Plus you know exactly what is going into your food, making it easier to count your calories.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls defeat MAC East leader behind largest home crowd in four years
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor