Beats to 'beat' the day
There's a good chance that on Jan. 1 you made a promise to yourself that you'd get organized, lose the extra pounds that you put on over the holidays or start saving money.
There's also a good chance that by Jan. 8 all these well wishes lost their fervor - you misplaced your post-it notes, ate that entire chocolate bar and wasted your money on the newest must-have gadget. But don't fret; the good news is that the new semester is a chance for you to start over, again.
And if you need a little boost to get out from under the comforter, there's no greater mood-lifter than an inspirational song. This mix of relatable lyrics and beats will make you want to pump your fist into the air and ace your classes this semester.
If you're going to succeed in this motivational endeavor, you need to start your day properly. Change your alarm tone from your phone's standard alarm (the one that makes you want to hit the snooze button seven times) to your favorite hits from the early 2000s.
Destiny's Child - "Survivor"
With these sassy ladies telling you that you can do it, you're going to wake up.
It's proven through music cognition studies that we associate music with emotions. It's the nostalgic element of Destiny's Child that is going to make you think back to when you were approaching your teen years, dancing around your bedroom like no one could stop you. So by listening to a song that provokes this kind of memory first thing in the morning, your spirits are going to be immediately lifted. Also, BeyoncÃ© is telling you to get up, so you have to. You are going to make it. And yes, you are a survivor.
Although there's nothing wrong with a secretive slice of Destiny's Child to start the day, you're not going to want it playing on repeat in your head while you're trying to have a serious conversation with your professor.
Nas - "The World Is Yours"
While you're getting ready in the morning, you've got the whole world on your shoulders, so you better get on with your day and make it the best one that you can. The easy hip-hop beat that Nas puts his lyrics to only helps the situation. It's not too in your face, but it's nothing that's going to make you want to crawl back into bed. This track's the hip-hop version of the call from your mom telling you that you can do it.
By this point, you should be ready to go and conquer the semester. The '90s and early 2000s have gotten you this far, but we need to fast forward to today.
Switchfoot- "Dare You to Move"
Switchfoot is going to "Dare You to Move."Everyone knows that once you're dared to do something, it becomes more appealing. So stop daydreaming about your afternoon naps and get back to the tasks at hand. Switchfoot is here to remind you "everybody's watching you now." It might have seemed like a good idea to announce your resolutions over the family dinner table, but now you're going to have to see them through.
The Strokes- "You Only Live Once"
If you're not a fan of Switchfoot, feel free to substitute this accusing track for the feel-good vibes of The Strokes' You Only Live Once. Yes, YOLO was a thing before it was being hashtagged.
Now that you've been suitably reminded about the promises you made and subtly accused of not seeing them through, let's pick the tone up again.
A Fine Frenzy- "Now Is The Start"
The track perfectly balances an upbeat tempo with motivational lyrics to make sure you keep yourself in check. It's a gentle reminder that even if you slip away from you're a game, "now is the start" to pick it up again. This one will keep you going.
Mumford and Sons - "Awake My Soul"
It's time to slow things down. You've had your fun, but now it's time to bring it back to the beginning. When you think of Mumford and Sons, you're normally presented with the idea of romanticized English metaphors with a folky backdrop.
This track doesn't stray from the band's usual sound. In fact, it's aptly slower and more moving. But within the slightly depressing lyrics, you're hit with golden lines like, "Where you invest your love/you invest your life," and Mumford and Sons is here to give us a gentle reminder that in order to achieve something, you're going to have to give it your all.
Queen - "We Are the Champions"
Now that your day is over, just take three minutes to listen to Freddie Mercury in the classic anthem of motivation. A rock song that will make you feel like you've just led your country to the Olympics and walked away with eight gold medals around your neck. Whatever you do, don't settle for second best on this one. It's the Queen version or nothing - no modern covers allowed.
So, take this semester to do what you need to do and use this playlist as your personal, motivational guide to see you through it. You're welcome.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360 newscast: Sept. 21, 2014
- A gen ed breakdown: understanding UB’s potential revamp
- UB screens students, monitors Ebola outbreak in Africa
- Volleyball ties for first place in Hoosier Classic
- Bulls lose last non-conference game
- How to get away with angering the journalistic community
- Revised Regents a boon to struggling schools
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections