Two Bulls headed to Tampa Bay following NFL Draft
Means drafted, Moseley signed
Graduating Bulls defensive end Steven Means (above) was drafted No. 147 overall in the fifth round of the NFL Draft on Saturday by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Means is the fifth UB player to be drafted in the past five years. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
Willie Moseley (above) signed with Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent on Saturday following the conclusion of the NFL Draft. This past season, Moseley had 51 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, an interception and a fumble recovery. Nick Fischetti, The Spectrum
On the third and final day of the 2013 NFL Draft, graduating Bulls defensive end Steven Means was outside, enjoying the gorgeous, 68-degree Buffalo day.
For weeks, he had been waiting for his name to scroll across the screen, anxious to see if he would have a future in professional football.
And then his phone rang.
"It was a crazy feeling," Means said. "I wasn't even in the house. I had my phone with me. I was outside getting a breather, playing catch with my little brother and my father was outside. I heard my phone ring and everyone stopped and looked."
Means was the No. 147 overall pick in the fifth round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday - making him the fifth Bull to be drafted in the past five years. Graduating UB linebacker Willie Moseley, who was signed as an undrafted free agent moments after the draft, will be joining Means in Tampa Bay.
Means made a name for himself at Grover Cleveland High School (now I-Prep), right down the road from UB, receiving two All-Western New York Selections. He also starred in basketball and track. Means posted a stat line of 108 tackles, 20 sacks, an interception and five forced fumbles in his senior year, before embarking on a memorable career at UB.
In his four years, Means accumulated 186 tackles and 18.5 sacks to go along with two interceptions. Last year, Means had 77 tackles, 6.5 sacks and three blocked kicks.
His 18.5 sacks are the fourth most in school history.
Although he played defensive end for the Bulls, Means is predicted to play outside linebacker for the Buccaneers, who already have depth at linebacker. Lavonte David and Jacob Cutera play on the weak side and Adam Hayward and Dekoda Watson are on the strong side.
"I'm willing to do everything and put my all into it," Means said. "My main focus is going to be on the field and to be in that playbook. I'm going to be flawless with every technique and play out there. I'm just ready to go."
Moseley had a successful senior season, as well, posting 51 tackles, 2.5 sacks, an interception and a fumble recovery.
The pair will be joining another local product in Tampa in wide receiver Mike Williams. Williams, a Buffalo native who attended Riverside High School, was drafted No. 101 in the fourth round in the 2010 draft.
"Everyone in Buffalo has talent," Means said. "If you work hard every day, you can be a professional."
Means and Moseley will start training camp July 27.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists