Konze's Kitchen: Super Bowl Edition
Hut, hut, spice! Oh yeah, it's that time of the year again. Everyone is gathered around the TV for the biggest football game of the year: the Super Bowl.
It's the 13th-straight year my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, have not made the playoffs. Instead of waiting around to watch a football game with two teams I have no interest in, I decided to learn to perfect homemade chili.
I got the basic ingredients for this recipe from allrecipes.com, but the original was a little bit boring. I decided the only thing missing was the marinating of the ground beef. How can you just put plain and boring meat into a saucepan without seasoning it first?
Here are the basic ingredients to make my chili.
French's Worcestershire sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce
salt and pepper
Total time: 30 minutes
The most important direction that you can take away from this recipe is my method for marinating the ground beef.
1. Place about a pound of ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add enough French's Worcestershire sauce to coat most of the meat. This will help tenderize it.
2. Place 3-4 tbsp of Sweet Baby Ray's honey barbecue sauce in the mixing bowl. Mix the beef around with using your hands until the meat is evenly coated.
3. Chop up 1/2 an onion and mix in with the beef.
4. After you have seasoned your beef, pull it apart so that you can cook it in a frying pan on the stove.
5. Set your stove top to the medium-high setting and place your smaller pieces of beef into the frying pan. While it is cooking, you still have work to do!
6. Get a large saucepan and set it on the stovetop, setting the burner to medium heat. Add one can of stewed tomatoes, one can of tomato sauce and one can of kidney beans to the large saucepan with one-and-a-half cups of water.
7. While the ingredients in the saucepan are being brought to a boil, periodically check on the beef.
8.When the beef is cooked, add it directly into the sauce.
9.As the ingredients in the saucepan keep boiling, add your pinch of chili powder and pinch of garlic powder.
10. Just as you are about to end the boiling add a little bit of salt and pepper.
Servings per recipe: 4, cal. (cal) 381, Fat, total (g) 15, chol. (mg) 71, sat. fat (g) 6, carb. (g) 35, fiber (g) 9, pro. (g) 32, sodium (mg) 1265, Potassium (mg) 905, calcium (mg) 111, iron (mg) 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Serve this with cornbread or my favorite: Tostitos scoops chips.
Hopefully one of these years I will be able to focus on the Bills playing in the Super Bowl rather than my cooking skills. For now, I'll just enjoy creating a dish one ingredient at a time.
Enjoy the game and I'll keep giving you a recipe you can bring home to your mama - from my kitchen to yours.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections