Konze's Kitchen: Super Bowl Edition
Hut, hut, spice! Oh yeah, it's that time of the year again. Everyone is gathered around the TV for the biggest football game of the year: the Super Bowl.
It's the 13th-straight year my favorite team, the Buffalo Bills, have not made the playoffs. Instead of waiting around to watch a football game with two teams I have no interest in, I decided to learn to perfect homemade chili.
I got the basic ingredients for this recipe from allrecipes.com, but the original was a little bit boring. I decided the only thing missing was the marinating of the ground beef. How can you just put plain and boring meat into a saucepan without seasoning it first?
Here are the basic ingredients to make my chili.
French's Worcestershire sauce
Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce
salt and pepper
Total time: 30 minutes
The most important direction that you can take away from this recipe is my method for marinating the ground beef.
1. Place about a pound of ground beef into a large mixing bowl. Add enough French's Worcestershire sauce to coat most of the meat. This will help tenderize it.
2. Place 3-4 tbsp of Sweet Baby Ray's honey barbecue sauce in the mixing bowl. Mix the beef around with using your hands until the meat is evenly coated.
3. Chop up 1/2 an onion and mix in with the beef.
4. After you have seasoned your beef, pull it apart so that you can cook it in a frying pan on the stove.
5. Set your stove top to the medium-high setting and place your smaller pieces of beef into the frying pan. While it is cooking, you still have work to do!
6. Get a large saucepan and set it on the stovetop, setting the burner to medium heat. Add one can of stewed tomatoes, one can of tomato sauce and one can of kidney beans to the large saucepan with one-and-a-half cups of water.
7. While the ingredients in the saucepan are being brought to a boil, periodically check on the beef.
8.When the beef is cooked, add it directly into the sauce.
9.As the ingredients in the saucepan keep boiling, add your pinch of chili powder and pinch of garlic powder.
10. Just as you are about to end the boiling add a little bit of salt and pepper.
Servings per recipe: 4, cal. (cal) 381, Fat, total (g) 15, chol. (mg) 71, sat. fat (g) 6, carb. (g) 35, fiber (g) 9, pro. (g) 32, sodium (mg) 1265, Potassium (mg) 905, calcium (mg) 111, iron (mg) 5, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Serve this with cornbread or my favorite: Tostitos scoops chips.
Hopefully one of these years I will be able to focus on the Bills playing in the Super Bowl rather than my cooking skills. For now, I'll just enjoy creating a dish one ingredient at a time.
Enjoy the game and I'll keep giving you a recipe you can bring home to your mama - from my kitchen to yours.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists