How To: keep your fading tan
Sadly, summer is almost over and your skin is slowly fading from sun-kissed bronze to more of a sandy tan. If you don't do something quick, you are going to end up back at snowman white sooner than you think.
You could try to recapture that vitamin D, which darkens your skin so deliciously by walking outside or lying on the grass while doing homework. Let's be real, though - in Buffalo strong sun is hard to find in September.
There is always the option of going to a tanning salon and paying up to $50 to get either sprayed for the perfect summer skin or lie in a bed for hours waiting for the summer look. If you're like me, you are on a tight college student budget and tanning just isn't on your list of financial priorities. You're simply scared of getting a fake tan and looking orange.
Here are some tips to help you keep your tan while sticking to your budget:
Your tan will last longer if you keep your skin moisturized and hydrated. When your skin is properly hydrated, it will not only keep your skin healthy, it will prevent it from drying out which causes your tan to fade.
Any moisturizer will work as long as you use it as much as possible: when you wake up, after you shower (it will absorb best when your skin is wet), before you go to sleep or when you're just bored. Moisturizers with aloe, vitamin A or vitamin E in them work a little bit better to soothe the skin and keep it nicely bronzed.
You could also use Vaseline if you have sensitive skin or eczema.
It's important to make sure your tan stays even, especially when it's fading. A good way to make sure you don't end up with multicolored spots on your body is to exfoliate your skin a couple of times each week. If you exfoliate your whole body, the dead skin cells will be shed evenly, allowing new ones to grow in their place.
This will not only keep your skin soft and smooth, but it will prevent those dry and scaly looking spots from developing. You'll be able to show off your arms and legs without being ashamed of those flaky, dry spots.
As much as you try to stop it, your natural tan will fade eventually. Use a self-tanning lotion to keep that glow. Over time, you'll form a habit of moisturizing your skin whenever you're bored. So replace your normal lotion with a self-tanner.
This will allow you to keep your sun-kissed look as the sun begins to hide in this Buffalo weather. Self-tanners are not expensive and can be found at almost any drug store.
I use Jergen's Natural Glow - which is a good transition from suntan to self-tan - or L'Oreal Sublime Bronze, which is a little bit stronger and more noticeable.
Although the summer is over, you can easily prolong that summer look for a few more weeks into the harsh Buffalo winter - take advantage of this advice and stay hot.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360: video newscast Sept. 29
- Pushing forward
- Quick Hits: Volleyball and women’s soccer begin MAC play, Roberts scores in...
- UB prepares for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- UB no longer buying McCarley Gardens
- The Spectrum sits down with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood
- UB hits ‘undo’ on a mistake in the making
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections