How To: keep your fading tan
Sadly, summer is almost over and your skin is slowly fading from sun-kissed bronze to more of a sandy tan. If you don't do something quick, you are going to end up back at snowman white sooner than you think.
You could try to recapture that vitamin D, which darkens your skin so deliciously by walking outside or lying on the grass while doing homework. Let's be real, though - in Buffalo strong sun is hard to find in September.
There is always the option of going to a tanning salon and paying up to $50 to get either sprayed for the perfect summer skin or lie in a bed for hours waiting for the summer look. If you're like me, you are on a tight college student budget and tanning just isn't on your list of financial priorities. You're simply scared of getting a fake tan and looking orange.
Here are some tips to help you keep your tan while sticking to your budget:
Your tan will last longer if you keep your skin moisturized and hydrated. When your skin is properly hydrated, it will not only keep your skin healthy, it will prevent it from drying out which causes your tan to fade.
Any moisturizer will work as long as you use it as much as possible: when you wake up, after you shower (it will absorb best when your skin is wet), before you go to sleep or when you're just bored. Moisturizers with aloe, vitamin A or vitamin E in them work a little bit better to soothe the skin and keep it nicely bronzed.
You could also use Vaseline if you have sensitive skin or eczema.
It's important to make sure your tan stays even, especially when it's fading. A good way to make sure you don't end up with multicolored spots on your body is to exfoliate your skin a couple of times each week. If you exfoliate your whole body, the dead skin cells will be shed evenly, allowing new ones to grow in their place.
This will not only keep your skin soft and smooth, but it will prevent those dry and scaly looking spots from developing. You'll be able to show off your arms and legs without being ashamed of those flaky, dry spots.
As much as you try to stop it, your natural tan will fade eventually. Use a self-tanning lotion to keep that glow. Over time, you'll form a habit of moisturizing your skin whenever you're bored. So replace your normal lotion with a self-tanner.
This will allow you to keep your sun-kissed look as the sun begins to hide in this Buffalo weather. Self-tanners are not expensive and can be found at almost any drug store.
I use Jergen's Natural Glow - which is a good transition from suntan to self-tan - or L'Oreal Sublime Bronze, which is a little bit stronger and more noticeable.
Although the summer is over, you can easily prolong that summer look for a few more weeks into the harsh Buffalo winter - take advantage of this advice and stay hot.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge