New-look Bulls go undefeated in first weekend of softball competition
In 2013, it took the softball team 28 games to win six. The 2014 team only needed six games to reach that mark.
The Trena Peel era has officially begun in Buffalo. The former standout college softball player from LSU - in her first season as head coach of the softball team - led the Bulls to a program record six straight wins to start the season this weekend.
The Bulls (6-0) accumulated wins against Southern University (0-2), Texas Tech (3-2), Alabama State (0-5), Southeastern Louisiana (2-2) and Nicholls State (1-4).
Peel can already see a noticeable difference in the team's success.
"It's not even a comparison," Peel said. "They only won 16 games last year and to start off the season with six wins is only the beginning."
The most exciting games of the weekend came on Saturday and Sunday.
In the Bulls' second game on Saturday, they trailed 3-1 going into the bottom of the sixth, but three late RBIs from senior pitcher/first baseman Heather Ryder and junior catcher/third baseman Alexis Curtiss led the Bulls to a 4-3 victory over Alabama State.
Senior infielder Sammi Gallardo delivered some game-saving heroics in the top of the seventh inning of the Bulls' game against Southeastern Louisiana in the Bulls' final game on Saturday. With the Bulls trailing by a run, Gallardo provided all the offense the Bulls needed for the day with a two-run blast.
On Sunday, senior pitcher Tori Speckman kept the weekend perfect despite offensive struggles with a complete-game, four-hit shutout. It was her fourth win of the weekend.
Friday featured a record-breaking offensive output as the Bulls swept their doubleheader against Southern University.
Gallardo and outfielder Holly Luciano led the offensive explosion with a pair of hits and three RBIs each in the first game.
Luciano stole the show in the second game, amassing six RBIs and the Bulls' first home run of the season, launching a three-run home run over the left field fence during the top of the sixth inning. The Bulls also set a school record for most runs scored in a single game in the 19-5 rout. Freshman outfielder Ashton Earnhardt and Curtiss contributed to the record-breaking win with three RBIs each.
The Bulls also defeated Texas Tech during the first game on Saturday.
Peel says her formula for success at Hampton University was her inspiration for the Bulls this season.
"[At Hampton] we won our conference championship and got two recruiting classes the following year," Peel said. "I'm hoping we have the same success here."
Not only has the team seen more success on the field, but the locker room mentality is growing more positive.
"They expect to win," Peel said. "They put the work in off the field and it shows during games. The seniors are leading the way and they are doing a great job of it."
With the combination of high-powered offense and lights-out pitching, the Bulls are seeing more success than they ever have before.
The Bulls travel to Oxford, Miss., for their next game on Feb. 21 to compete in the Red & Blue Classic. They take on Saint Louis (2-2) at 9 a.m. that day.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB students ‘make noise’ in wake of Ferguson grand jury decision
- Publishing textbooks can mean big money for professors
- Long hair because they care
- Braving the Snowvember storm
- UB joins nationwide ‘It’s On Us’ sexual assault prevention campaign
- “Home” is where the Turkey is
- R&B’s favorite ‘Boyz’ are back
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Avoiding Body Drought: Tips to Prevent Dehydration
- Lighting for Aging Eyes -- Don't Get Left in the Dark
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge