Quick Hits: Softball has historic opening weekend, men's tennis continues hot streak
Sophomore guard Mackenzie Loesing dribbles into the lane during the Bulls’ game against Miami Ohio on Thursday afternoon. The Bulls fell to Central Michigan on the road on Sunday, 74-63. Juan D. Pinzon, The Spectrum
Men's Tennis (3-1)
The No. 71 Bulls made an East Coast road trip over the weekend, traveling to Dartmouth (7-1) and Penn (0-1) for a pair of Ivy League matchups. The Bulls dropped their first match of the weekend, 6-1, to the No. 63 Big Green.
Dartmouth swept the doubles, and Pablo Alvarez won the Bulls' only point, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2.
On Saturday against Penn, the Bulls turned it around. After losing the first doubles matchup, the Bulls won the next two. The first six singles matchups were evenly split between the two teams, but Alvarez came back from a 1-0 deficit to win the last two games, 6-5, 6-4, and seal the victory.
Buffalo returns home next weekend for a home match against Duquesne (5-1, 2-0 Atlantic 10 Conference) at 1 p.m.
The Bulls had a historic opening weekend to start their season, starting 6-0 for the first time in school history.
Buffalo swept Southern University (0-2) in a doubleheader on Friday, scoring a school Division I record 19 runs in the second game - a 19-5 win. The Bulls defeated Southern, 10-1, in the first game. Senior outfielder Holly Luciano went 5 for 7 at the plate, including one homerun and nine RBIs, in the doubleheader.
The Bulls then swept their first day at the Lion Classic, defeating Texas Tech (2-2), Alabama State (0-4) and Southeastern Louisiana (1-2) by scores of 5-0, 4-3 and 2-1, respectively.
On Sunday, Buffalo completed its perfect weekend with a 1-0 shutout of Nicholls State (1-4). Senior pitcher Tori Speckman pitched a complete game, striking out four while walking zero, for her fourth win of the season. Junior outfielder Karly Nevez recorded the Bulls' only RBI.
The Bulls will next play two weekends from now in the Red and Blue Classic hosted by Ole Miss (2-3) in Oxford, Miss.
Women's Basketball (13-9, 6-5 MAC)
Junior forward Kristen Sharkey led the Bulls with 21 points and six rebounds on Sunday afternoon against Central Michigan, but they couldn't pull out the victory as Buffalo fell 74-63.
Junior forward Christa Baccas added a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds.
Track & Field
Saturday, the track and field teams competed in the Skyes & Sabock Challenge Cup in State College, Pa. The women finished second and the men finished third.
Sophomore distance runner Brian Crimmins set a UB record in the mile run, with a time of 4:08.73, which was good for third place in the event.
The teams will next compete in the Division I Invite next weekend in Geneva, Ohio.
Wrestling (3-14, 0-6 Mid-American Conference)
The Bulls traveled west this weekend to take on No. 9 Missouri (8-2, 5-1 MAC) and Southern Illinois-Edwardsville (3-10, 0-1 MAC).
The Tigers swept the Bulls Friday, 41-0, but UB bounced back to defeat Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, 27-12, Sunday.
The Bulls will next face Binghamton (4-11) this Friday at Alumni Arena at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- College women switching to Sobrr this Halloween as the best app for fun -- and finding soul mates.
- Win $1,000 to Study Abroad in Italy. The ItaliaRail Study Abroad in Italy Scholarship for Spring 2015 is now accepting applications.
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!