McCrea's career night helps Bulls beat Chippewas
Though the Bulls are 10-0 at home this year, they showed improvement on the road Saturday, knocking off Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant, Mich. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
After becoming only the third UB player to score 1,800 career points in the men's basketball team's last game, senior forward Javon McCrea hit another milestone Saturday night against Central Michigan: setting a career high in rebounds.
McCrea had 20 rebounds and 25 points to help the Bulls (13-7, 7-3 Mid-American Conference) defeat Central Michigan (8-14, 1-9 MAC), 79-70, Saturday night in Mount Pleasant, Mich.
The Bulls shot 51 percent from the field and limited Central Michigan to 41 percent. The Bulls' defense was particularly effective guarding the three-point shot, as the Chippewas missed 23 shots from beyond the arc. Central Michigan made 11 of its 34 3-point shots.
The first half was a back and forth affair in which both teams went on runs. McCrea and freshman guard Shannon Evans led the way for the Bulls' offense in the half, scoring 31 of their squad's 39 first-half points.
Evans finished the game with 19 points, five rebounds and two assists. The Bulls went into the half with a 39-36 advantage.
The Bulls began the second half on a 9-3 run, but Central Michigan cut the lead to five, making the score 49-44. The Bulls would then go on a 13-0 run, however, creating a deficit the Chippewas were unable to overcome. The Bulls put the game away by converting their free throws when the Chippewas began to foul.
Senior guards Jarod Oldham and Josh Freelove both scored in double digits, with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Oldham added five assists. Junior forward Will Regan had nine points. Sophomore guard Jarryn Skeete returned to the lineup after missing the previous four games with a knee injury. Skeete finished with three points.
The Bulls will play Wednesday night at Miami Ohio (9-12, 5-5 MAC). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists