McCrea's career night helps Bulls beat Chippewas
Though the Bulls are 10-0 at home this year, they showed improvement on the road Saturday, knocking off Central Michigan in Mount Pleasant, Mich. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
After becoming only the third UB player to score 1,800 career points in the men's basketball team's last game, senior forward Javon McCrea hit another milestone Saturday night against Central Michigan: setting a career high in rebounds.
McCrea had 20 rebounds and 25 points to help the Bulls (13-7, 7-3 Mid-American Conference) defeat Central Michigan (8-14, 1-9 MAC), 79-70, Saturday night in Mount Pleasant, Mich.
The Bulls shot 51 percent from the field and limited Central Michigan to 41 percent. The Bulls' defense was particularly effective guarding the three-point shot, as the Chippewas missed 23 shots from beyond the arc. Central Michigan made 11 of its 34 3-point shots.
The first half was a back and forth affair in which both teams went on runs. McCrea and freshman guard Shannon Evans led the way for the Bulls' offense in the half, scoring 31 of their squad's 39 first-half points.
Evans finished the game with 19 points, five rebounds and two assists. The Bulls went into the half with a 39-36 advantage.
The Bulls began the second half on a 9-3 run, but Central Michigan cut the lead to five, making the score 49-44. The Bulls would then go on a 13-0 run, however, creating a deficit the Chippewas were unable to overcome. The Bulls put the game away by converting their free throws when the Chippewas began to foul.
Senior guards Jarod Oldham and Josh Freelove both scored in double digits, with 11 and 10 points, respectively. Oldham added five assists. Junior forward Will Regan had nine points. Sophomore guard Jarryn Skeete returned to the lineup after missing the previous four games with a knee injury. Skeete finished with three points.
The Bulls will play Wednesday night at Miami Ohio (9-12, 5-5 MAC). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership