When he isn't busy on the court, sophomore forward Xavier Ford, who has a culinary background, enjoys making homemade ribs. Spectrum File Photo
Women's basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack makes a career out of exploiting the opposing team's weakness. If the other teams only knew that her biggest weakness is her Aunt Collie's lasagna, maybe they would stand a chance.
"She put her elbows in it," Legette-Jack said. "I want to cry after; it's so good."
This is just one of the many quotes about food that surround the athletes and coaches here at Buffalo. When they aren't dishing dimes, dunking or making defenders miss, the men's basketball players are enjoying the meals that bring back memories and provide them with flavorful taste.
The 6-foot-7, 210-pound forward is a regular grinder for the men's basketball team. However, when Ford isn't defending and penetrating the post, he is whipping up his most prized dish: homemade ribs.
Before he arrived in Buffalo, Ford had developed a background in culinary arts through a junior college program.
The inspiration for his best dish is not only credited to his experience in culinary classes but also the fact it is engrained in his roots.
Ford's grandma makes his favorite dish.
"My grandma's meatloaf or her greens. She's an extraordinary cook, the best cook in the family," Ford said. "Whenever I go [back] home, I have to get my greens from her; them things is good."
On the court, he makes a home out of the three-point line. But Tony Watson's mom's baked macaroni and cheese reminds him of what home really is.
Hailing from West Palm Beach, Fla., Watson is always greeted with his favorite homemade meal when his plane lands.
"My mom is one of the best baked macaroni and cheese makers I've ever come across," Watson said. "That's my favorite food and she knows. When I come home, there's a bunch of it."
He knows he cannot match his mother's mouth-watering dish, but Watson has created his own dishes.
Whether he is using red sauce or Alfredo, the senior guard is a fan of pasta.
"I cook a lot of pasta," Watson said. "My favorite is baked ziti with some red sauce and some sausage."
If Watson could have anything he wanted here in Buffalo, it would be seafood, but Watson says "on a college budget, you can't afford it."
McCrea often splits defenders for highlight-reel layups and dunks with his mother watching from the sidelines.
When it comes down to cooking, McCrea is a huge fan of his mother's soul food, which consists of macaroni and cheese, peas, corn and fried chicken.
But McCrea is a simple man when it comes to his own recipes.
"Well. my roommates cook," McCrea said. "[I don't] cook. I just make sandwiches, hot dogs and simple stuff."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists