The best sports bars Buffalo has to offer
Pearl Street Grill & Brewery boasts a wide selection of food and beer to appease even the most difficult sports fan. Courtesy of Pearl Street Grill and Brewery
Brett Hull just skated through the crease and buried the Sabres in game seven. Mike Tolbert got his third touchdown of the day on his third carry - burying your fantasy team to last place. Or maybe, just maybe, you are the only guy around still talking about "Linsanity."
No matter what your sports craze is, we've got the best sports bars in town for you to flaunt your true colors. So put down your remote, get off your $80 dollar thrift store couch and get your self out and about. A little bonding over sports won't hurt.
1. Best pre-game spot: Pearl Street Grill & Brewery
A local favorite and a staple of a good pre-game party, Pearl Street is a hop, skip and a jump from First Niagara Center. Gulp down pints of micro-brewed beer and slam home beef-on-wecks. All in time to stumble on down the block to scream your heart out from the upper deck. The Sabres don't take campus cash so don't plan on using that financial aid refund check to treat you and your crew to box seats.
2. Best post-game: Cobblestone
Let's face it: you aren't going to class the day after you make the journey to the First Niagara Center to watch some puck. So you might as well keep the party going. Cobblestone is around the corner from the arena, hidden down the rocky, bumpy, hand-laid streets. And who knows, you may even catch a player or two out for some post-game celebrations - or despair.
3. Best glutton spot: Mooney's
Over 100 people have tried and only three have completed the challenge. Two humans and an English Mastiff named Thor. Think you're up for the Moses Challenge? Three pounds of meat and an endless barrage of toppings and condiments create more of a mountain range than a sub. This beast of a sandwich weighs in at a gluttonous 6 pounds. If eating until your stomach rips and your arteries clog isn't your thing, then escape the cold with arguably the best mac and cheese in the Buffalo area. A big menu of classic bar foods sings a nice duet with everything mac and cheese under the sun. You could even go outside of the box with a fried pickle. At Mooney's, there is something for everyone.
4. Best beer selection: MacGregor's
MacGregor's has the largest beer selection around UB North Campus. From Flying Bison Rusted Chain Ales and Magic Hat IPA to Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold Lager and Goose Island Big John Stout. If you can't find a beer here then you just aren't a beer drinker. There is not a place in the bar where you can sit and not see a TV.
5. Off the mark: Thirsty Buffalo
Thirsty Buffalo isn't your typical skinny jean, black glasses, TOMS-wearing Elmwood dive bar. You won't find any art galleries in here - only 22 plasma screen TVs. If 22 screens isn't enough, then how about 32 beers on tap? Thirsty Buffalo doesn't completely lose its Elmwood charm, though. So go ahead, you earned it: order yourself a Franziskaner.
The equation is simple: food plus beer plus sports will always equal a good time. So set your DVR to record Say Yes to the Dress and get out to happy hour. The night is going to get weird.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
- The Dukes of hazard: Buffalo prepares for season opener against Duquesne
- Saved by the bull: the next generation
- The running of the Bulls: UB football team has three running backs competing...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care