Tuning in to women's basketball
What's the best song to describe women's basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack? It's “Fly” by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to freshman guard Joanna Smith. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
Freshman guard Joanna Smith turns to Miguel for her musical selection in the locker room. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
The women's basketball team may not have an official "anthem," but the players have no shortage of celebratory singalongs.
Whether it's junior forward Cherridy Thornton singing any of the numerous hits from Drake's newest album Nothing Was The Same, or freshman guard Joanna Smith belting out "Girl with the Tattoo" by Miguel, the locker room is always an area of entertainment.
The most popular songs among the girls include "Beat It" by Sean Kingston featuring Chris Brown and Wiz Khalifa and "Clarity" by Zedd.
Chris Brown and Drake dominate the airtime inside the locker room.
Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack has a wide range of music she considers to among her favorites. She says many of her top songs are gospel, which is fitting given her deeply religious background, but it is not all she listens to.
Her top five favorite songs are "Stand" by Donnie McClurkin, "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys, "Diamonds" by Rihanna, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor and "Set it Off," but Legette-Jack was unsure of the artist.
The best song to describe Legette-Jack is "Fly" by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to Smith. It is not because of the song itself necessarily, but the story behind it.
The first game of Legette-Jack's tenure at UB was a short bus trip to neighboring Canisius. The coach took over the bus stereo and played "Fly" to the surprise of everybody on the bus. Now it has become "her song."
Rihanna's opening lyrics mesh with Legette-Jack's persona.
"I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive, I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise, to fly, to fly."
The Bulls return to Alumni Arena on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and you can be sure there will be no shortage of music - pregame, during and postgame.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists