Tuning in to women's basketball
What's the best song to describe women's basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack? It's “Fly” by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to freshman guard Joanna Smith. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
Freshman guard Joanna Smith turns to Miguel for her musical selection in the locker room. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
The women's basketball team may not have an official "anthem," but the players have no shortage of celebratory singalongs.
Whether it's junior forward Cherridy Thornton singing any of the numerous hits from Drake's newest album Nothing Was The Same, or freshman guard Joanna Smith belting out "Girl with the Tattoo" by Miguel, the locker room is always an area of entertainment.
The most popular songs among the girls include "Beat It" by Sean Kingston featuring Chris Brown and Wiz Khalifa and "Clarity" by Zedd.
Chris Brown and Drake dominate the airtime inside the locker room.
Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack has a wide range of music she considers to among her favorites. She says many of her top songs are gospel, which is fitting given her deeply religious background, but it is not all she listens to.
Her top five favorite songs are "Stand" by Donnie McClurkin, "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys, "Diamonds" by Rihanna, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor and "Set it Off," but Legette-Jack was unsure of the artist.
The best song to describe Legette-Jack is "Fly" by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to Smith. It is not because of the song itself necessarily, but the story behind it.
The first game of Legette-Jack's tenure at UB was a short bus trip to neighboring Canisius. The coach took over the bus stereo and played "Fly" to the surprise of everybody on the bus. Now it has become "her song."
Rihanna's opening lyrics mesh with Legette-Jack's persona.
"I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive, I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise, to fly, to fly."
The Bulls return to Alumni Arena on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and you can be sure there will be no shortage of music - pregame, during and postgame.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”