Tuning in to women's basketball
What's the best song to describe women's basketball head coach Felisha Legette-Jack? It's “Fly” by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to freshman guard Joanna Smith. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
Freshman guard Joanna Smith turns to Miguel for her musical selection in the locker room. Daniele Gershon, The Spectrum
The women's basketball team may not have an official "anthem," but the players have no shortage of celebratory singalongs.
Whether it's junior forward Cherridy Thornton singing any of the numerous hits from Drake's newest album Nothing Was The Same, or freshman guard Joanna Smith belting out "Girl with the Tattoo" by Miguel, the locker room is always an area of entertainment.
The most popular songs among the girls include "Beat It" by Sean Kingston featuring Chris Brown and Wiz Khalifa and "Clarity" by Zedd.
Chris Brown and Drake dominate the airtime inside the locker room.
Head coach Felisha Legette-Jack has a wide range of music she considers to among her favorites. She says many of her top songs are gospel, which is fitting given her deeply religious background, but it is not all she listens to.
Her top five favorite songs are "Stand" by Donnie McClurkin, "Girl on Fire" by Alicia Keys, "Diamonds" by Rihanna, "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor and "Set it Off," but Legette-Jack was unsure of the artist.
The best song to describe Legette-Jack is "Fly" by Nicki Minaj featuring Rihanna, according to Smith. It is not because of the song itself necessarily, but the story behind it.
The first game of Legette-Jack's tenure at UB was a short bus trip to neighboring Canisius. The coach took over the bus stereo and played "Fly" to the surprise of everybody on the bus. Now it has become "her song."
Rihanna's opening lyrics mesh with Legette-Jack's persona.
"I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive, I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise, to fly, to fly."
The Bulls return to Alumni Arena on Wednesday at 7 p.m. and you can be sure there will be no shortage of music - pregame, during and postgame.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor