Roundin' up the Herd
Bulls, Broncos face off on senior day
ohnnie Simon (3) and Western Michigan come to town this weekend to take on the Bulls, who are coming off an emotional 27-24 win over Miami Ohio last weekend. Courtesy of GS Photo
The football team is coming off an exciting win against Miami Ohio (4-5, 3-2 Mid-American Conference), and this weekend marks the last home game for some players on the roster.
The Bulls (2-7, 1-4 MAC) will say goodbye to their seniors as they look to continue their winning streak against Western Michigan (4-6, 2-4 MAC) Saturday at UB Stadium.
Redshirt freshman quarterback Joe Licata took over for the Bulls in place of injured junior Alex Zordich last week. Licata led the Bulls to a 27-24 victory, which was highlighted by a last-second field goal.
Western Michigan is coming off a win over Central Michigan (3-6, 1-4 MAC), 42-31, in which the Broncos snapped a three-game losing streak. They are only two wins away from being bowl eligible for the third consecutive season.
Last time they met: Oct. 24, 2009, Western Michigan won 34-31 at home in overtime. The Broncos have a record of 5-0 in their last five meetings against the Bulls.
Players to watch:
QB Tyler Van Tubbergen:After highly touted junior quarterback Alex Carder went down with a hand injury two games into the season, the Broncos turned to back up Van Tubergen. So far this season, he's had no problem stepping into the starter role. He has completed 159 passes on 261 attempts for 1,825 yards, 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. The Bulls will have to be able to close down the passing lanes by pressuring Van Tubbergen if they plan on winning this game.
WR Jaime Wilson:The freshman wide out has been a favorite target for Western Michigan quarterbacks this season. Wilson has grabbed 60 receptions for 718 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 12 yards per catch. Wilson can catch almost anything thrown his way and is able to make difficult catches with a defender on him. The Bulls will need to keep a close eye on him and keep his elusiveness in check.
S Johnnie Simon:The Broncos' defense ranks fifth in the MAC, having given up 1,499 rushing yards and 2,430 passing yards. Junior safety Simon is just 12 tackles shy of back-to-back 100-tackle seasons. Smith has 88 tackles on the season - 43 solo, 45 assisted - and is averaging 8.8 per game. Look for him to provide some pop in the secondary.
He said it: "Buffalo is consistent, and the only game [I] saw they struggled on was with NIU, but who doesn't struggle with them?" - Western Michigan head coach Bill Cubit
Matchup to watch: Buffalo's pass defense vs. Western Michigan's pass offense. Western Michigan is ranked No. 2 in passing offense, completing 256 passes on 423 attempts with 23 touchdowns. The Bulls' passing defense is ranked third in the MAC in pass defense, only allowing 132 completions and 13 touchdowns on 233 attempts.
Prediction:The Bulls will be able to run the ball effectively with junior running back Branden Oliver, but Western Michigan will have no problem through the air.
Western Michigan 34, Buffalo 21
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- IRS Warns Taxpayers of Latest Phone Fraud Scam
- Putting Your Vacation Home to Work for You
- Finding Answers to Growing Concerns About Water Fluoridation
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 7 Tips for Scoring a Tailgating Touchdown
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE