Women's tennis splits weekend road trip
Bulls defeat Western Michigan before falling to Bowling Green
The women's tennis team's season has been filled with streaky performances. After splitting the first two games of its season, Buffalo went on an eight-game winning streak. It then had a two-game losing streak before capturing another three victories.
The past three performances haven't been as consistent, as the Bulls have alternated wins with losses.
Buffalo couldn't carry its momentum from Friday's victory into Saturday's match against Bowling Green (10-6, 4-2 Mid-American Conference), leaving the team with a weekend split. The Bulls (13-5, 4-3 MAC) defeated Western Michigan (13-9, 2-4 MAC), 5-2, Friday but followed up the big win with a letdown Saturday when they lost to Bowling Green, 5-2.
Friday, the Bulls bounced back from losing the doubles point by winning all but one of the singles matches against the Broncos. After the Broncos' Kathleen Hawkins retired in the second set against senior Miranda Podlas, the momentum shifted in favor of the Bulls. The Bulls swept No. 3 through No. 6 singles, led by junior Laura Fernandez in the No. 3 position, who won 6-7, 6-4, 7-6. It was the Bulls' fourth victory over the Broncos in 21 tries.
Three of Buffalo's five singles victories took three sets. Senior Marta Stoyanova won 6-3, 6-4.
Saturday proved to be different for the Bulls as they fell to Bowling Green. Similar to Friday's match, Buffalo lost the doubles point to the Falcons. But there would be no comeback as Bowling Green took four out of six matches in singles, including the top three.
Freshman Margarita Kotok led the Bulls in the losing effort, winning a three-set victory, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 4 singles match. But the match was already decided at the conclusion of her singles match, as she was the last court to finish. Senior Anamaria Candanoza was the only other winner for the Bulls, with a victory at the No. 5 position, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 10-4.
The Bulls conclude their regular season Saturday at 1 p.m. against Akron (10-14, 0-7 MAC) on the road.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists