Women's tennis splits weekend road trip
Bulls defeat Western Michigan before falling to Bowling Green
The women's tennis team's season has been filled with streaky performances. After splitting the first two games of its season, Buffalo went on an eight-game winning streak. It then had a two-game losing streak before capturing another three victories.
The past three performances haven't been as consistent, as the Bulls have alternated wins with losses.
Buffalo couldn't carry its momentum from Friday's victory into Saturday's match against Bowling Green (10-6, 4-2 Mid-American Conference), leaving the team with a weekend split. The Bulls (13-5, 4-3 MAC) defeated Western Michigan (13-9, 2-4 MAC), 5-2, Friday but followed up the big win with a letdown Saturday when they lost to Bowling Green, 5-2.
Friday, the Bulls bounced back from losing the doubles point by winning all but one of the singles matches against the Broncos. After the Broncos' Kathleen Hawkins retired in the second set against senior Miranda Podlas, the momentum shifted in favor of the Bulls. The Bulls swept No. 3 through No. 6 singles, led by junior Laura Fernandez in the No. 3 position, who won 6-7, 6-4, 7-6. It was the Bulls' fourth victory over the Broncos in 21 tries.
Three of Buffalo's five singles victories took three sets. Senior Marta Stoyanova won 6-3, 6-4.
Saturday proved to be different for the Bulls as they fell to Bowling Green. Similar to Friday's match, Buffalo lost the doubles point to the Falcons. But there would be no comeback as Bowling Green took four out of six matches in singles, including the top three.
Freshman Margarita Kotok led the Bulls in the losing effort, winning a three-set victory, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 4 singles match. But the match was already decided at the conclusion of her singles match, as she was the last court to finish. Senior Anamaria Candanoza was the only other winner for the Bulls, with a victory at the No. 5 position, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 10-4.
The Bulls conclude their regular season Saturday at 1 p.m. against Akron (10-14, 0-7 MAC) on the road.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”
- CDA Launches New Digital Copper Learning Center
- Sierra Club Calls on University and College Students to Join the People’s Climate March
- College Students Are Signing Up With An Innovative New Social Network