Women's tennis splits weekend road trip
Bulls defeat Western Michigan before falling to Bowling Green
The women's tennis team's season has been filled with streaky performances. After splitting the first two games of its season, Buffalo went on an eight-game winning streak. It then had a two-game losing streak before capturing another three victories.
The past three performances haven't been as consistent, as the Bulls have alternated wins with losses.
Buffalo couldn't carry its momentum from Friday's victory into Saturday's match against Bowling Green (10-6, 4-2 Mid-American Conference), leaving the team with a weekend split. The Bulls (13-5, 4-3 MAC) defeated Western Michigan (13-9, 2-4 MAC), 5-2, Friday but followed up the big win with a letdown Saturday when they lost to Bowling Green, 5-2.
Friday, the Bulls bounced back from losing the doubles point by winning all but one of the singles matches against the Broncos. After the Broncos' Kathleen Hawkins retired in the second set against senior Miranda Podlas, the momentum shifted in favor of the Bulls. The Bulls swept No. 3 through No. 6 singles, led by junior Laura Fernandez in the No. 3 position, who won 6-7, 6-4, 7-6. It was the Bulls' fourth victory over the Broncos in 21 tries.
Three of Buffalo's five singles victories took three sets. Senior Marta Stoyanova won 6-3, 6-4.
Saturday proved to be different for the Bulls as they fell to Bowling Green. Similar to Friday's match, Buffalo lost the doubles point to the Falcons. But there would be no comeback as Bowling Green took four out of six matches in singles, including the top three.
Freshman Margarita Kotok led the Bulls in the losing effort, winning a three-set victory, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 4 singles match. But the match was already decided at the conclusion of her singles match, as she was the last court to finish. Senior Anamaria Candanoza was the only other winner for the Bulls, with a victory at the No. 5 position, 7-6 (7-2), 3-6, 10-4.
The Bulls conclude their regular season Saturday at 1 p.m. against Akron (10-14, 0-7 MAC) on the road.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR