Greiner, Wife Honored at Newman Center
UB President William R. Greinernn. Image Contributor
President William R. Greiner and his wife Carol were recognized for their outstanding service to UB Sunday at St. Joseph University Parish. Both received the Newman Award during UB's 27th annual Convocation and Liturgy of the Holy Spirit.
"The Newman Award is given to a deserving person in the university for their commitment to the ideals of university learning, and their examples of faith - faith in the university, faith in a higher power," said Greg Coogan, Catholic campus minister for the South Campus Newman Center. "It is the highest award we bestow upon a member of the university."
"It is a great honor, and I am very appreciative for receiving the award," Greiner said. "The Newman Center exemplifies support in many ways. We are so extraordinarily grateful."
The award was presented by William Barba, associate professor and chairman for the department of Education Leadership and Policy in the Graduate School of Education.
"For me, this is a personal honor to recognize the love and unselfish devotion of Carol and Bill (Greiner) to UB, to Buffalo and to Western New York," Barba said in his address to the congregation. "Through both of your examples you have been so much more than the president and first lady of UB. You represent a clear and vital symbol of unselfish giving. In truth, you both live up to the Gospel values of faith, hope and love in your service here."
Barba also spoke about particular attributes of Carol Greiner that he said make her deserving of the award.
"Carol, your absolute devotion to UB is perhaps undervalued by some, but for all of these years you have always presented yourself with grace and the warmest smile I have ever known, making everyone feel welcome in your presence," said Barba.
According to Maria Clare, Catholic campus minister on the North Campus, the Greiners were not chosen solely because it is their last year at UB, but also because of their important role in the community.
"President Greiner and his wife Carol are well-deserving because they have been supportive throughout their 13 years," Clare said.
"It's a recognition of his many years of distinguished service and a culmination of his career, too," said Coogan.
Past recipients of the award include Assistant Dean for Biomedical Undergraduate Education Mary Anne Rokitka, who won in 2002, and Vice President for Student Affairs Dennis Black, who won in 2001.
The award gets its name from John Henry Newman, a priest instrumental in reviving Catholicism in England in the mid 1800s.
According to Coogan, Catholic Campus Ministry has been naming Newman Award recipients during the university convocation since 1994. As for the convocation itself, Coogan said the event invites university members to gather together and pray for the blessing of the Holy Spirit.
"Each fall the Newman Centers invite members of the UB community to convene prayerfully at the beginning of the academic year here at St. Joseph University church," he said. "It is a continuation of a university tradition lasting more than 800 years."
John Dietl, a senior mechanical engineering major, was one of those in attendance for the standing-room-only event.
"It was an exceptionally big gathering of the UB Catholic community and it went well," said Dietl.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists