Who to hate
A cheat sheet on UB's biggest rivals -- and why Bulls fans love to hate
Zeke Marshall constantly gets all of the hype, even though the Bulls have handled the big man in the past. Spectrum File Photo
The Golden Flashes have been a constant, bothersome thorn in the Bulls' side as of late. Spectrum File Photo
D.J. Cooper (5) is a guy who should be booed with a lot of passion, as he has killed the Bulls over the last few contests. Spectrum File Photo
Cardinals fans are still hurting from their shocking defeat in the 2008 MAC Championship game. Spectrum File Photo
So you're a Buffalo Bulls fan...
When you arrive at UB, it should be obvious whom you're expected to cheer for. UB Athletics is a Division-I program with a lot of up-and-coming sports. Rooting for the blue and white is a sometimes frustrating, but promising aspect for fans to look forward to.
But with the love for your school and its athletics comes the necessary hatred you must possess for its opponents and rivals.
Over the years, gritty losses and battles that our athletes have endured have sparked some personal hatred that us, as fans, should be aware of. Our goal as fans falls in line with the team that's on the field. We attend games to boo and make the opponents feel as uncomfortable as possible - anything to give our squad a mental edge.
We will enlighten you on who deserves the most aggression from our fans.
Men's Basketball: Akron
The overrated team that never was. Akron is consistently regarded by most as the Mid-American Conference's most dominant team, especially last season with 7-foot shot-blocker Zeke Marshall.
The Bulls paid little attention to Marshall or the Zips, as they swept the Zips and earned the No. 2 seed in the MAC Tournament. The Bulls had plenty of losses to teams less qualified than the Zips (and we will get to them later). But it is a feeling of dismantling them from a title they had yet to earn that sparked the Bulls to dominate them last season.
Heading into the 2012 season there is one thing that will be for sure: the Zips will be looking for revenge. When Akron step foot in Alumni Arena, the five starting Bulls won't be the only thing they should fear. Boo them feverishly.
All Sports: Kent State
It's simple: hate Kent State. Why? Because of people like former guard Michael Porrini, who got into the Bulls' huddle during a timeout, and had a face you just wanted to punch. He got into a heated argument with Buffalo head coach Reggie Witherspoon. If Witherspoon - quite possibly the nicest guy on the face of the earth - gets mad at you, you know you deserve to be hated.
Also hate the Golden Flashes because of the distance; they're the closest team to Buffalo in the MAC. Because they always find a way to break the Bulls' hearts. Because their baseball team is excellent. Because we have never beaten them on the road at the MAC Center.
They deserve our hate. Give them plenty.
Oh, Ohio, how we hate thee. Last year's three-point loss to the Bobcats in the MAC Tournament semifinals was a 'stomach-punch' type loss. That Buffalo team was considered to be one of the best UB squads ever, and a championship seemed destined.
Back in '05, in a very similar situation, the Bulls lost to Ohio on a tip-in, which cost the Bulls the MAC title and a berth into the NCAA tournament, in which the Bulls have never been. Every time Buffalo seem poised to have a magical season, and finally get the proverbial monkey off its back, the Bobcats take it away.
Football: Ball State
There are still tears flowing from Muncie, Ind. from the loss in the 2008 MAC Championship game, a game in which their 12th-ranked Cardinals fell in spectacular fashion to the Bulls, 42-24, ending their undefeated season and giving Buffalo its only football title.
Their fans felt cheated, that they still should have beaten the Bulls, that we were lucky. The game last season was a hotly contested one, and the Cardinals were the ones victorious at home, as a touchdown with 29 seconds left gave them the 28-25 win.
This one is sure to heat up in the next couple of years.
Let the hate begin.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
- 5 Seasonal Invaders and How to Keep Them Out in the Cold
- Not Just a Man's World, Female Entrepreneurs Are Making...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World