My first and final column
In the fall semester of my freshman year, I decided to join The Spectrum andplanning to work here for only one semester.
Five semesters later, I'm still here.
I started working at The Spectrum with the intention of gaining some work experience. Never in a million years did I think it would be so emotional to leave this office.
When I started working at The Spectrum, I was fresh out of high school. I was shy and just did my work. I was always so nervous to talk to any of the editors. I just wanted to get my work done and leave.
Nowadays, it is impossible for me to leave this office. I try to take one step out the door and someone will shout my name. There are days I will hide behind my desk or pretend I am invisible just to mess around with people.
I work six days a week and I'm sleep deprived, but I still love it here. The Spectrum has become more than just a workplace for me. It has become a home.
In the past two and a half years, I have met so many wonderful people. The Spectrum staff has become more than just coworkers to me.
All the obstacles that have come our way, we have overcome together. Of course, there are days when we want to strangle each other, but at the end of the day, we are there for each other.
I have always craved to be apart of something where my friends were like a family. And The Spectrum gave me that. So I want to thank everyone who has been a part of my journey.
Andrew Wiktor, it all started with you. I remember my first day of class in college. I was told there was not going to be a Graphic Designer position but you still gave me the chance to work. Thank you for opening the door to an experience of a lifetime.
But I wouldn't be in the position I am in today if it weren't for someone crazy like Matthew Parrino who took a chance on me. I didn't know anything about how to lay out a paper and yet you were insane enough to give me a chance. Thank you. By the way, nuggies?
I wouldn't have strength to do what I do and put up with all the nonsense if it weren't for Helene Polley. Helene, you have become like a mother to me and have always supported me through everything. Despite the fact that you are shouting my name every five seconds for me to do work, I will miss all the hectic days and all of our gossiping. There are no words to describe how thankful I am to have you in my life.
Andrew Angeles, thank you for supporting me through my first semester as Creative Director. I couldn't have gone through it without all your support.
Mark Kurtz, I hate how you push me around all the time, but I guess it has been fun working with you.
Panda Bear, a.k.a. Aaron Mansfield, thank you for making my last semester amazing and for carrying me when I was broken. I hope you always eat your 10:29 apple and practice your dance moves. I'll be checking up on you.
It's a bittersweet moment for me to be going. Thank you to all the trolls, gnomes and the rest of the staff members who were not given weird nicknames for all the wonderful and insane memories. You all made this a truly remarkable experience for me.
To my apprentices, good luck to you all. I know you guys will do a great job and if you don't, I know your phone numbers. Good luck to the current and future staff members of The Spectrum, we have come a long way so don't mess up.
Lastly, can I have a giant cheeseburger please?
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections