Quick Hits: Recapping what students missed in UB Athletics over the extended winter break
While most students were away from campus for nearly two months, many UB sports teams were making moves.
Head coach Jeff Quinn announced several changes to his coaching staff on Monday for the upcoming 2014 season.
Chris Cosh will replace Jappy Oliver as defensive line coach. Oliver left to fill the same position at Virginia. Cosh most recently served as defensive coordinator for the University of South Florida.
Buddy Morris will replace strength and conditioning coach Zach Duval, who left for the same position at Wyoming. Morris served as the Bulls' strength and conditioning coach in 2006.
To compensate for the loss of quarterbacks coach Don Patterson, offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Alex Wood will move to quarterbacks coach while retaining his OC status. Tight ends coach Marty Spieler will replace Wood as wide receivers coach. Graduate assistant Keegan Jones has been promoted to tight ends coach.
Men's tennis (1-0)
The men's tennis team is nationally ranked for the first time in program history following its 4-3 win over nationally ranked Cornell on Jan. 19. The Bulls are currently ranked No. 70, along with Tulane, in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Top 75 team rankings. The Bulls' next match will be this Saturday against Cleveland State at 1 p.m.
Swimming and Diving
The men's and women's swimming and diving teams hosted Miami Ohio last Saturday in their final home meet of the season. The men's team won, 166-134, while the women's team lost, 168-132. Both will next compete at Ball State Feb. 1.
Track & Field
The track & field team competed in two events over the break. The Bulls opened their season Jan. 17 at the Great Dane Classic, where the men finished second and the women finished third. They followed this performance with the Upstate Challenge on Jan. 25, and both the men's and women's teams finished second.
Reed Sunahara was hired as the new head coach of the volleyball team Jan. 9. Sunahara replaces former head coach Todd Kress, who coached the team the previous five seasons to a 73-81 (24-56 Mid-American Conference) record. Sunahara compiled a record of 289-109 as head coach of Cincinnati's women's volleyball team from 2000-11 and most recently served as an assistant coach on the U.S Women's National Volleyball Team.
Women's basketball (11-7, 4-3 MAC)
The women's basketball team is riding a four-game winning streak in the MAC after starting out 0-3 in conference play. The Bulls most recently defeated Ball State (8-10, 3-4 MAC), 73-69 on Sunday, behind a career-high 36 points from junior forward Kristen Sharkey. The Bulls host Miami Ohio (6-12, 2-5 MAC) Thursday at Alumni Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
Shawn Burke was named the new head coach of the women's soccer team Jan 8. Burke has spent the past five seasons with the Bulls as an assistant coach under former women's soccer head coach Michael Thomas, who was fired Nov. 7 after his squad finished 6-9-3.
Women's tennis (1-0)
The women's tennis team began its season with a 7-0 sweep over St. Bonaventure (0-2) Saturday. The next contest is set for Friday at Cornell at 4 p.m.
Wrestling (2-12, 0-5 MAC)
The wrestling team earned its second dual-meet victory of the season Jan. 12 at the Pittsburgh Duals, defeating Seton Hall (3-10), 38-0. The Bulls compete this Saturday at Edinboro (7-3) and will host their final home meet of the season on Feb. 14 against Binghamton (3-8).
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists