Bulls return to Alumni Arena
The Spectrum scouts Western Michigan and Bowling Green
Senior guard Josh Freelove has had four consecutive games of at least 13 points and has asserted himself as the Bulls' second option on offense. Chad Cooper, The Spectrum
The men's basketball team has alternated wins and losses in its previous five contests. The Bulls have the opportunity to build their first winning streak since early in the month when they host Western Michigan.
The Bulls (10-6, 4-2 Mid-American Conference) face the Broncos (11-7, 4-2 MAC) Wednesday evening followed by a trip to Bowling Green (9-10, 3-3 MAC) on Sunday.
Senior forward Javon McCrea has at least 20 points in three of the past four games and has three double-doubles in the past five contests. Senior guard Josh Freelove, the team's second-leading scorer, has scored in double figures in every game but three this season and junior forward Will Regan had his highest scoring outburst of the season (25 points) Jan. 18.
A strong senior duo, guard David Brown and center Shayne Whittington, leads Western Michigan. Brown is averaging 18.7 points and 3.3 rebounds per game this season and has the potential to explode any given night. He has had four games of at least 25 points, including a 31-point eruption against Oakland.
Whittington is a 6-foot-11 enforcer who is averaging nearly a double-double this season (14.8 points and 9.1 rebounds). Whittington is coming off of a 21-point, 15-rebound explosion against Ball State (4-13, 1-5 MAC).
Sophomore forward Connar Tava has been extremely efficient for the Broncos. He leads the team with a 59.5 field goal percentage and averages 12.1 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.7 assists per contest. Tava's play has only improved during the season as he's recorded double-digit rebounds in two of the past three games, highlighted by 25 points on 9-of-9 shooting against Toledo (17-2, 5-1 MAC) earlier in the month.
The Bulls will close their week with the Falcons on Sunday. Bowling Green has one of the most inexperienced starting lineups in the conference with only one starter playing over 30 minutes in a game last season.
Junior forward Richaun Holmes leads a very balanced Falcons offense with 13.9 points per game, with sophomore forward Spencer Parker and junior guard Jehvon Clarke adding 12.4 and 12.3, respectively.
Holmes asserts his presence in the paint for the Falcons, averaging 7.2 rebounds and 2.9 blocks per game. He has three double-doubles on the season and two seven-block performances. Holmes has recorded double-digit points in 12 of the last 13 games and is shooting 53.8 percent on the season.
Parker lacks the explosive scoring performances but is consistent in every aspect of the game for Bowling Green. He's averaging 12.4 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game.
Clarke is coming off his best offensive game of the season with 22 points and six assists against Miami Ohio (8-9, 4-2 MAC). His 2.0 steals per game is second on the team, and he has eight steals in the past three games.
Senior forward Cameron Black doesn't score much, but he impacts nearly every game on the defensive end. He's averaging 7.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game and has multiple blocks in three of the last four games.
The Bulls' tip with Western Michigan is set for Wednesday at 7 p.m., and Sunday's contest at Bowling Green is set for 2 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
- UB holds Suicide Prevention Week, offers QPR suicide prevention training
- Student Style Spotlight 9/18
- Around Town: UB Family Weekend, Buffalo Maritime Festival and Buffalo...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses