Quick Hits: New football announcements; basketball wins mid-week games; softball starts season
Junior forward Will Regan totaled 13 points and six boards in the men's basketball team's last game, a home win against Ball State. Yusong Shi, The Spectrum
The football team made several announcements this week, including: the 2014 season opponents; the schedule for its four non-conference games; three performers for the UB Football Tailgate Concert Series; and the 2014 recruiting class.
The Bulls will open their season at home on Aug. 30 against Duquesne. They will then travel to Army the following Saturday and then return home for two straight games against Baylor and Norfolk State. In conference, the Bulls will play Akron, Central Michigan, Kent State and Miami Ohio at home. They will travel to Bowling Green, Eastern Michigan, Ohio and UMass.
The Bulls will play seven home games this season for the first time in their history.
For the tailgate concert series, Easton Corbin will perform at the home opener on Aug. 30, Joe Nichols will play at the Baylor game on Sep. 13 and the Spin Doctors will play on Sep. 20 when the Bulls take on Norfolk State. The performing acts for the other four home games have yet to be announced.
The Bulls also announced their 2014 recruiting class. The class consists of 21 total players - the largest class under head coach Jeff Quinn - which includes linebackers Randy Anyanwu, Corey Henderson, Juwan Jackson, Myles Nicholas and Will White, offensive linemen Andy Fidler, Skylar Hartley, Matt Murphy and James O'Hagan, safeties Ishmael Hargrove, Zach Nicholas and Ryan Williamson, defensive linemen Jake Khoury and Gusty Schwartzmeier, cornerbacks Brandon Williams and Terrance Wilson, quarterbacks Chris Merchant and J.R. Zazzara, running back Gary Hosey, tight end Kevin Rogers and kicker Adam Mitcheson.
Men's basketball (12-7, 6-3 Mid-American Conference)
The men's basketball team defeated Ball State (12-7, 6-3 Mid-American Conference) 69-48 Wednesday night at Alumni Arena for its 10th straight home victory to start the season.
Senior forward Javon McCrea scored 19 points, making him the third UB player to score at least 1,800 career points. He also had 14 rebounds and three blocks. Senior guard Jarrod Oldham scored a season-high 17 points and added five assists.
The Bulls will be on the road Saturday against Central Michigan (7-13, 0-8 MAC). Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.
The softball team will open up its first season with new head coach Trena Peel this weekend with a slate of six games.
The Bulls have a doubleheader against Southern University on Friday. On Saturday, they will play Texas Tech, Alabama State and Southeastern Louisiana, and then finish up the weekend on Sunday with a game against Nicholls State.
Women's basketball (13-8, 6-4 MAC)
The women's basketball team defeated Ohio (8-13, 3-7 MAC), 55-43, Thursday afternoon at Alumni Arena. The 43 points allowed was a season-low for the Bulls, after they gave up a season-high 101 points to Akron in their previous game. The defense also held the Bobcats to just 14 of 56 shooting. Sophomore guard McKenzie Loesing led all scorers with 18 points.
The Bulls play Sunday at Central Michigan (13-8, 9-0 MAC) at 2 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
- Are Workers Taking Enough Time to Understand Their...
- Save Now With Proven High-Efficiency Gas Wall-Hung Boiler
- Some Jobs Really Are a Pain in the Back
- Are Your Investments Doomed by Overfunded Public Markets?
- Straighten Up if You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”
- Bring Snoop Dogg to Your College Campus