Raise your hand if your New Year's resolution was to lose weight.
Now raise your hand if you've already skipped a day at the gym, snuck in that bite - or three - of cake and put off the resolution until next year.
I know you don't think I can see you, but I can. And all of your hands are raised.
Let's be honest, Jan. 1 is not a good time to start a resolution because the majority of people decide to splurge for the holidays and eat everything in sight, spending vacation snacking on the couch. Only a very rare specimen actually has the ability to go from completely indulging in delicious, fatty foods in late December to being a health freak on Jan. 1.
That is why we are beginning our journey to a healthier lifestyle together. Not on the first day of the New Year, but today - on the 16thday.
Throughout the semester, I'll provide you with random health facts, fun ways to exercise and tasty healthy recipes. It's all about the baby steps, and if you follow mine, you'll be on your way to finally fulfilling that resolution that's been lingering over your shoulders for the past five years.
Because it's only the second week of school, I suggest you try to make your way to the gym as often as possible. If you cannot do that, though, do not give up on exercise. There are small differences you can make in your daily lives to enhance your body physically.
1. Squat when you pee, girls. Doing this works out your thighs the same way that a squat at the gym does. Save toilet paper by withdrawing from covering your seat and squat to workout your quads - you'll kill two birds with one stone.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. No explanation needed.
3. Don't wait in the entrance of the parking lot hoping to follow someone to a spot closest to your class. Settle for a spot farther away from your lecture hall and take the walk. Save yourself the gas from driving around in circles, basically stalking other students, and just exercise.
4. Wear workout clothes to campus. If you have an hour between classes, don't go back to your dorm or apartment, just go to Alumni Arena and use the gym membership you pay for through your tuition.
5. Do a few crunches before bed so working out doesn't take time out of your daily workload if you're too busy.
These subtle differences in your daily routine will essentially inspire you to be more active. You'll feel better overall, and step-by-step you'll improve your body physically and mentally.
Tune in next week for easy, healthy eating tips. OK - I know eating healthy isn't easy, like, at all. But I promise the baby steps will help and it'll get easier with time.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo stunned by Ohio after last-second basket
- Bulls fall to Central Michigan 84-73
- Weird Al to come to UB this summer
- Bulls defeat Miami Ohio behind career-game by Moss
- Rachael Gregory transfers from UB
- Buffalo routs Northern Illinois in return to Alumni Arena
- Bulls’ offense sputters in a 78-68 loss to Western Michigan
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
- With Help From Chile, Blueberries Stay Fresh All Winter
- Small Fixtures Make a Big Design Impact
- Keeping the Workplace in Proper Alignment
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- ASCO Numatics Announces 2015 Industrial Automation Engineering Scholarships
- Coffee Club Goes Viral With Members Earning Free Starbucks Cards
- UniversitySpot.com Introduces Extensive, Curated List of Free Online Courses for Winter 2015
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World