Raise your hand if your New Year's resolution was to lose weight.
Now raise your hand if you've already skipped a day at the gym, snuck in that bite - or three - of cake and put off the resolution until next year.
I know you don't think I can see you, but I can. And all of your hands are raised.
Let's be honest, Jan. 1 is not a good time to start a resolution because the majority of people decide to splurge for the holidays and eat everything in sight, spending vacation snacking on the couch. Only a very rare specimen actually has the ability to go from completely indulging in delicious, fatty foods in late December to being a health freak on Jan. 1.
That is why we are beginning our journey to a healthier lifestyle together. Not on the first day of the New Year, but today - on the 16thday.
Throughout the semester, I'll provide you with random health facts, fun ways to exercise and tasty healthy recipes. It's all about the baby steps, and if you follow mine, you'll be on your way to finally fulfilling that resolution that's been lingering over your shoulders for the past five years.
Because it's only the second week of school, I suggest you try to make your way to the gym as often as possible. If you cannot do that, though, do not give up on exercise. There are small differences you can make in your daily lives to enhance your body physically.
1. Squat when you pee, girls. Doing this works out your thighs the same way that a squat at the gym does. Save toilet paper by withdrawing from covering your seat and squat to workout your quads - you'll kill two birds with one stone.
2. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. No explanation needed.
3. Don't wait in the entrance of the parking lot hoping to follow someone to a spot closest to your class. Settle for a spot farther away from your lecture hall and take the walk. Save yourself the gas from driving around in circles, basically stalking other students, and just exercise.
4. Wear workout clothes to campus. If you have an hour between classes, don't go back to your dorm or apartment, just go to Alumni Arena and use the gym membership you pay for through your tuition.
5. Do a few crunches before bed so working out doesn't take time out of your daily workload if you're too busy.
These subtle differences in your daily routine will essentially inspire you to be more active. You'll feel better overall, and step-by-step you'll improve your body physically and mentally.
Tune in next week for easy, healthy eating tips. OK - I know eating healthy isn't easy, like, at all. But I promise the baby steps will help and it'll get easier with time.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Spectrum 360: video newscast Sept. 29
- Pushing forward
- Quick Hits: Volleyball and women’s soccer begin MAC play, Roberts scores in...
- UB prepares for Domestic Violence Awareness Month
- UB no longer buying McCarley Gardens
- The Spectrum sits down with Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood
- UB hits ‘undo’ on a mistake in the making
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections