Bulls suffer first conference loss
Women’s basketball falls at Toledo
Rachael Gregory (31) and Christa Baccas (44) and the Bulls could not shut down the high powered Toledo offense as they suffered their first conference loss of the season 59-44. Courtesy of Robert Taylor /// The Independent Collegian
The women's basketball team fought hard against one of the toughest teams the Mid-American Conference has to offer, but Buffalo's efforts ultimately fell short.
The Bulls (5-13, 3-1 MAC) gave up a 15-5 run to Toledo (15-2, 3-1 MAC) to close the game after keeping it close throughout most of the contest. They were outscored 31-18 in the second half and fell 59-44, which marks their first conference loss of the season.
"I thought we played extremely hard today and I am proud of effort, but offensively, we struggled," said head coach Felisha Legette-Jack in a press release via UB Athletics. "We faced a very good team today and we are going to learn from this experience and continue to grow."
The Bulls' 44 points scored were their third fewest this season. They shot 32.1 percent (17 for 53) from the field and 19 percent (4 for 21) from 3-point range, and only one player managed to score in double-digits.
Sophomore forward Kristen Sharkey scored 12 points and 10 rebounds, her second double-double on the season.
"She did a tremendous job of altering shots and rebounding the ball," Legette-Jack said.
Despite the Bulls' offensive struggles, they had the game tied at 28 early in the second half. But the Rockets went on a quick 7-0 run and the Bulls never came back within five points.
Defensively, the Bulls gave up 23 offensive rebounds to the Rockets, who turned those opportunities into a backbreaking 22 second-chance points.
"It's hard to get those loose rebounds all the time," Legette-Jack said. "They definitely had a size advantage over us, but we competed and sometimes the ball just doesn't fall your way."
Toledo's Andola Dortch torched the Bulls for 20 points, including six rebounds and three 3-pointers.
The Bulls have now won three of their four conference games after starting the season 2-11. Ball State (7-11, 3-1 MAC) comes to Alumni Arena on Wednesday night; tip is set for 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Got a Headache? Manage it With Chiropractic Care
- 3 Pescadores Rescatados en el Mar gracias a Dispositivo GPS
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections