Spaulding fire allegedly started by butane torch
Flames were seen coming from the fourth floor of Spaulding Building 1 on Thursday night. This photo was taken from one of the Spaulding towers. Courtesy of Michael McTarnaghan, via Twitter
UB student Alec Seidenberg is accused of dropping a butane torch while smoking marijuana in a Spaulding Building 1, fourth floor room on Thursday night, according to a press release released by the University Police Department.
Both Seidenberg and his girlfriend were taken to Erie County Medical Center with minor injuries. Seidenberg is expected to be released today, and his girlfriend was treated and released last night.
UPD arrested Seidenberg and he is accused of arson, possession of marijuana, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief. He was issued an appearance ticket to appear in Amherst Town Court on those charges, according to UPD.
Chief Gerry Schoenle said there is damage from smoke, heat and water to the dorm structure and contents of the dorm, totaling an estimated $250,000. There was no damage to the rooms surrounding the source room, he said.
The fire started at approximately 6:17 p.m., according to police reports, and students were allowed to return their rooms on the first three floors once the building was cleared and alarms were reset at 9:28 p.m.
Residents of the fourth floor were able to return to their rooms to collect their things this morning after being temporarily displaced to a local hotel Thursday night. Campus Living is working with the individual students to provide them with housing for the rest of the semester.
Schoenle credits the Getzville, Ellicott Creek and North Bailey Fire Departments with the quick response and excellent work to contain the fire to one room, making the building safe for entry within three hours of the first alarms.
The use of devices like the butane torch and smoking in the residence halls is strictly prohibited.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
- Epic Super Bowl Halftime Shows
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
- How to Be More Productive During Your Business Flights
- It's Never too Late to Start Living Healthy
- Revive tus objetivos de verte saludable en 2015
- Debunking Common Tax-Filing Myths
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor