Spaulding fire allegedly started by butane torch
Flames were seen coming from the fourth floor of Spaulding Building 1 on Thursday night. This photo was taken from one of the Spaulding towers. Courtesy of Michael McTarnaghan, via Twitter
UB student Alec Seidenberg is accused of dropping a butane torch while smoking marijuana in a Spaulding Building 1, fourth floor room on Thursday night, according to a press release released by the University Police Department.
Both Seidenberg and his girlfriend were taken to Erie County Medical Center with minor injuries. Seidenberg is expected to be released today, and his girlfriend was treated and released last night.
UPD arrested Seidenberg and he is accused of arson, possession of marijuana, reckless endangerment and criminal mischief. He was issued an appearance ticket to appear in Amherst Town Court on those charges, according to UPD.
Chief Gerry Schoenle said there is damage from smoke, heat and water to the dorm structure and contents of the dorm, totaling an estimated $250,000. There was no damage to the rooms surrounding the source room, he said.
The fire started at approximately 6:17 p.m., according to police reports, and students were allowed to return their rooms on the first three floors once the building was cleared and alarms were reset at 9:28 p.m.
Residents of the fourth floor were able to return to their rooms to collect their things this morning after being temporarily displaced to a local hotel Thursday night. Campus Living is working with the individual students to provide them with housing for the rest of the semester.
Schoenle credits the Getzville, Ellicott Creek and North Bailey Fire Departments with the quick response and excellent work to contain the fire to one room, making the building safe for entry within three hours of the first alarms.
The use of devices like the butane torch and smoking in the residence halls is strictly prohibited.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”