Athletics Receives Two Donations
The UB athletic department received one of its largest donations in history on Sunday.
Tunney Murchie, a former UB hockey player, and his family gave $1 million to the university. The money will be used for facilities upgrades or capital projects in UB Stadium and Alumni Arena.
In return for his generous gift, Buffalo has decided to name the football center at UB Stadium "The Murchie Family Football Center."
The money will first go toward a new entrance to the football offices and other upgrades to the look of the facility.
Murchie is a member of the class of 1975 and earned his MBA a year later at UB. His wife Deanna is also an alumnus, graduating in 1974 with a degree in public health. The two have been suite holders at UB Stadium since 2009.
Murchie had previously donated to the triple gym upgrade in 2009, but did so under the name of his former hockey coach Edward Wright.
Murchie's gift was not the only generous donation that the Bulls received on Sunday.
John "Bear" Dempsey's estate was committed to the athletic department. As a member of the 1958 Lambert Cup team, Dempsey's contribution will go to the 1958 Lambert Cup team scholarship fund, which now totals over $500,000.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Raising Autism Awareness for Better Lives
- Erase Strokes From Your Golf Game -- No Pencil Required
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?