Athletics Receives Two Donations
The UB athletic department received one of its largest donations in history on Sunday.
Tunney Murchie, a former UB hockey player, and his family gave $1 million to the university. The money will be used for facilities upgrades or capital projects in UB Stadium and Alumni Arena.
In return for his generous gift, Buffalo has decided to name the football center at UB Stadium "The Murchie Family Football Center."
The money will first go toward a new entrance to the football offices and other upgrades to the look of the facility.
Murchie is a member of the class of 1975 and earned his MBA a year later at UB. His wife Deanna is also an alumnus, graduating in 1974 with a degree in public health. The two have been suite holders at UB Stadium since 2009.
Murchie had previously donated to the triple gym upgrade in 2009, but did so under the name of his former hockey coach Edward Wright.
Murchie's gift was not the only generous donation that the Bulls received on Sunday.
John "Bear" Dempsey's estate was committed to the athletic department. As a member of the 1958 Lambert Cup team, Dempsey's contribution will go to the 1958 Lambert Cup team scholarship fund, which now totals over $500,000.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- UB Bulls Basketball tailgate canceled
- #UBTop10: The top-10 moments in Buffalo sports over break
- Around Town: Winter Brewfest, the Ice at Canalside and Lumagination
- Late UB Stampede supervisor remembered
- ‘Big time,’ big money, big problems
- UB offering chance at free semester of tuition to basketball fans
- Easy A(rts): UB's best introductory art courses
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- LED Technology Helping People See The World in a Whole...
- Ice Dams Put Homes at Risk for Termites
- 5 Tips to Having a Happy, Healthy Heart
- What Does Million in IRS Budget Cuts Mean for Taxpayers?
- Workers Say a Good Cup of Coffee Can Make Entire Workday...
- Fresh Fruit Delivers Fun and Nutrition
- Say No to the Knife: Reduce the Likeliness Of Surgery...
- Give Your Kitchen a New Look With a Lighting Update
- Garden Project Spreads Its Roots in Urban Areas
- The Need for Voluntary Insurance Is on the Rise
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHOLE YOU CHALLENGES THE HEALTHCARE INDUSTRY AND PUBLIC TO HELP FIND SOLUTIONS FOR THOSE WITH ORAL AND VISION LIMITATIONS
- 10 Reasons Why Cancun is the Spring Break Mecca of the World
- What's Next in Learning Spaces?
- carpooling, Europe's No. 1 ridesharing app, debuts in U.S. to college market
- PwC US Launches CareerAdvisor