Athletics Receives Two Donations
The UB athletic department received one of its largest donations in history on Sunday.
Tunney Murchie, a former UB hockey player, and his family gave $1 million to the university. The money will be used for facilities upgrades or capital projects in UB Stadium and Alumni Arena.
In return for his generous gift, Buffalo has decided to name the football center at UB Stadium "The Murchie Family Football Center."
The money will first go toward a new entrance to the football offices and other upgrades to the look of the facility.
Murchie is a member of the class of 1975 and earned his MBA a year later at UB. His wife Deanna is also an alumnus, graduating in 1974 with a degree in public health. The two have been suite holders at UB Stadium since 2009.
Murchie had previously donated to the triple gym upgrade in 2009, but did so under the name of his former hockey coach Edward Wright.
Murchie's gift was not the only generous donation that the Bulls received on Sunday.
John "Bear" Dempsey's estate was committed to the athletic department. As a member of the 1958 Lambert Cup team, Dempsey's contribution will go to the 1958 Lambert Cup team scholarship fund, which now totals over $500,000.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses
- Cengage Learning and Flashnotes.com Form Strategic Partnership
- PAOLO NUTINI CELEBRATES U.S. RELEASE OF “CAUSTIC LOVE”