Rugby team to play at UB Stadium
Not all students are aware that one of the most popular international sports can be found on campus at UB. Between Division I athletics and intramural sports, rugby has quietly become one of the most followed clubs at Buffalo.
With fall session in the books, the Bulls have been using the spring offseason to prepare for next year. The club will face off head-to-head with Brockport for an exhibition match under the lights this Friday night at UB Stadium.
Typically, the club competes on the field behind the Ellicott tennis courts. The location has turned fans away as the team has averaged approximately 20 spectators at the home events.
Rugby club vice president, Patrick Hughes, believes that sports fans are drawn to the consistent pace of a rugby game.
"It's a great game with a lot of tradition," Hughes said. "It is a very violent and hard-hitting game that people are going to enjoy."
The Rugby club wrapped up their fall schedule after boasting a 4-2 record. The team has attended numerous tournaments throughout the country, including a successful outing in Savannah, Ga.
Hughes feels that games at UB Stadium will give fans a chance to see the intense aspects of rugby while giving the team a chance to show their skills to the public.
"It is a big game," Hughes said. "But we are very confident in our team and we hope to give the crowd a good showing."
The game is scheduled to begin Friday at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit