Rugby team to play at UB Stadium
Not all students are aware that one of the most popular international sports can be found on campus at UB. Between Division I athletics and intramural sports, rugby has quietly become one of the most followed clubs at Buffalo.
With fall session in the books, the Bulls have been using the spring offseason to prepare for next year. The club will face off head-to-head with Brockport for an exhibition match under the lights this Friday night at UB Stadium.
Typically, the club competes on the field behind the Ellicott tennis courts. The location has turned fans away as the team has averaged approximately 20 spectators at the home events.
Rugby club vice president, Patrick Hughes, believes that sports fans are drawn to the consistent pace of a rugby game.
"It's a great game with a lot of tradition," Hughes said. "It is a very violent and hard-hitting game that people are going to enjoy."
The Rugby club wrapped up their fall schedule after boasting a 4-2 record. The team has attended numerous tournaments throughout the country, including a successful outing in Savannah, Ga.
Hughes feels that games at UB Stadium will give fans a chance to see the intense aspects of rugby while giving the team a chance to show their skills to the public.
"It is a big game," Hughes said. "But we are very confident in our team and we hope to give the crowd a good showing."
The game is scheduled to begin Friday at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Buffalo’s defense finally shows up
- Bulls defeat Spartans 36-7 behind a dominant defensive performance
- Gridiron Report Card: The Spectrum grades the Bulls’ 36-7 win over Norfolk...
- À la Mode: Style Guide
- Unprecedented number of students prompt increased tailgate patrol
- UB looks to overhaul general education requirements
- StandWithUs brings Charlotte Korchak to UB to discuss the Israeli-Palestinian...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
- Grandparents, Keep Your Meds Up and Away From Young Children
- As Insurers End Coverage for Compounded Drugs, Patients...
- 4 Tips to Start Your Day a Little Earlier
- Join the Force to Fight Lung Cancer in Women
- If You Want to Help Avoid Back Problems, Stop Slouching
- Common-Sense Strategies From a Natural Marketing Guru
- 10 Steps to Help Older Adults Prevent Slips, Trips and Falls
- Stay Cool for Next to Nothing: Power Down the AC on...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections
- The Power of Peer Support: Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" Hits Campuses