Rugby team to play at UB Stadium
Not all students are aware that one of the most popular international sports can be found on campus at UB. Between Division I athletics and intramural sports, rugby has quietly become one of the most followed clubs at Buffalo.
With fall session in the books, the Bulls have been using the spring offseason to prepare for next year. The club will face off head-to-head with Brockport for an exhibition match under the lights this Friday night at UB Stadium.
Typically, the club competes on the field behind the Ellicott tennis courts. The location has turned fans away as the team has averaged approximately 20 spectators at the home events.
Rugby club vice president, Patrick Hughes, believes that sports fans are drawn to the consistent pace of a rugby game.
"It's a great game with a lot of tradition," Hughes said. "It is a very violent and hard-hitting game that people are going to enjoy."
The Rugby club wrapped up their fall schedule after boasting a 4-2 record. The team has attended numerous tournaments throughout the country, including a successful outing in Savannah, Ga.
Hughes feels that games at UB Stadium will give fans a chance to see the intense aspects of rugby while giving the team a chance to show their skills to the public.
"It is a big game," Hughes said. "But we are very confident in our team and we hope to give the crowd a good showing."
The game is scheduled to begin Friday at 7 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Bulls survive scare with FCS opponent Duquesne
- Buffalo, we have a problem: Bulls performance against Duquesne should leave...
- Buffalo makes top 10 list for cities with best quality of life
- Spectrum 360: Football season preview video 2014
- Taking the field: Bull linebacker Lee Skinner's journey to UB
- The big men on campus
- The Licata way
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care