Words of Wisdom from the Scientist to The Spectrum
J Craig Venter was the final speaker in the Distinguished Speaker Series this year. Source
Before this year's final Distinguished Speaker, world-renowned scientist J. Craig Venter, spoke at Alumni Arena, he took some time to share a few words with The Spectrum.
Venter is recognized as one of the leading scientists of the 21st century through his tremendous contributions to the field of genomics. He is the founder and president of the J. Craig Venter Institute, recipient of many scientific awards and honors, and author of A Life Decoded: My Genome: My Life in 2007, exposing his story in genomics to the public.
Prior to his life in genomic research, Venter was a professor at the University at Buffalo and recalls reading The Spectrum when he was teaching.
The Spectrum: How did you become involved in genomic research?
J. Craig Venter: I was just excited about the idea of getting all the information from sequencing the genome versus what we were all doing of trying to find one gene at a time, so that was going to take centuries if we didn't change how we were doing things.
TS: With your discoveries of genomes within the fruit flies and bats, what's next on your agenda?
JCV: Last year, we reported the first synthetic genome and the first synthetic life form, and so we're trying to now understand the human genome, understand the potential for making synthetic life, and what both of those mean for the future.
TS: What projects are you and your team working on now?
JCV: Approaches to making new vaccines using synthetic DNA, new approaches to making fuel based on carbon dioxide, new approaches to making new sources of food based on recycling carbon dioxide.
TS: Where do you see science going next?
JCV: We hope pretty quickly it's going to make some of these areas possible because we're getting pretty desperate as we add the equivalent of an entire India and China to the world's population within the next 30 years or so, so we absolutely have to come up with new solutions, or your future will be pretty bleak.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge