Hong Kong SA to give UB a taste of its culture on Valentine's Day
Tiffany Hong, a sophomore speech and hearing sciences major, Stephanie Chan, a senior linguistics major and Sarah Tse, a junior accounting major, are excited to celebrate Valentine’s Day watching romantic comedies on Feb. 13 with the Hong Kong SA. Keren Baruch, The Spectrum
Stephanie Chan, a senior linguistics major, always wanted to learn more about Hong Kong, where her ancestors on her father's side lived. But no club at UB gave her what she was looking for.
The Hong Kong Student Association (HKSA) has given Chan the feel of Hong Kong she couldn't find anywhere on campus. Although Hong Kong officially became a part of China in 1997, there are aspects that differentiate it from other cultures. Chan is the president of HKSA and focuses on creating workshops and events that unite members of the club under a single identity.
On Thursday, in 330 Student Union, HKSA is featuring a romantic comedy film from Hong Kong. Hot chocolate and Hershey's Hugs and Kisses will be provided for free.
"We feel that it is important to have an event for Valentine's Day because it can help us and our members spend time together," Chan said. "Valentine's Day is not always for lovers; it's for friends, too. We help to promote Hong Kong culture through this film while giving our single and coupled members another option of celebrating."
Chan said the film gives couples an option aside from spending money at a theater and on chocolate.
Arlene Zhou, a sophomore biomedical sciences and pharmacology toxicology major, was born in southern China. She moved to the United States when she was 9 years old and visits her family back home often.
When she visits, she sometimes also goes to Hong Kong. She wanted to find a little bit of Hong Kong in Buffalo, and HKSA has helped her do so.
"We host many unique events," Zhou said. "We have dessert night, where we serve Hong Kong desserts made by e-board members. We also have 'Cha Siu Fan,' where we roast pork over rice. It's delicious. We've also done tea tasting in the past. Our club is really trying to bring the Hong Kong culture into the university."
Zhou will be at Thursday's movie event. She is excited to continue spreading her love for Hong Kong's culture to other members of the club and UB students.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- Anthone Taylor uses motivation from his departed friend and current mentor to...
- Perfume Genius’ “Too Bright” casts a strikingly subtle shadow
- Animals deserve protection, but Andre Robinson doesn’t deserve jail time
- Beauty is in the details: FIFA 15 review
- From the Cradle to the Grave and back
- Lost identity in the Sonora Desert
- McCarley Gardens residents ‘at ease’ for now in Buffalo
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- When It Comes to Winter Roof Checkups, the Attic Is Your...
- Is It Time to Sell Your Structured Settlement for Cash?
- Pest Proof Now to Protect Homes for Winter
- 3 Fishermen Rescued at Sea Thanks to GPS Device
- Mes de la Hispanidad inspira liderazgo, empoderamiento,...
- Majority of Moms and Moms-to-Be Believe in Public...
- Wineries Speak Up About the Benefits of Using Natural Cork
- Taking a Holistic Approach to Fit Living
- Wondering if it's Time to Buy a New Car? Just Check Your...
- Smartphone to Become Wallet -- Are Customers, Businesses...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Over 2,000 Groups Prepare to “Hit the Streets” with Volunteers and Celebrities for National Voter Registration Day on September 23, 2014
- Peace Corps Director Calls on College Students to Make a Difference After Graduation Through International Service
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON LAUNCH THE “CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR” COMPETITION FOR STUDENTS TO BRING A USA NETWORK CELEBRITY AND A WORTHY CAUSE TO THEIR CAMPUS
- WHEN GEORGIA SMILED: THE ROBIN MCGRAW REVELATION FOUNDATION TEAMS WITH PIVOT AND STUDENTS OF THE WORLD TO LAUNCH THE #iASPIRE GRANT CONTEST
- Latino Groups Launch National Campaign to Deliver Record Latino Turnout for 2014 Midterm Elections