Daily Show's Madrigal to perform in Buffalo
Al Madrigal, a field correspondent from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, is performing at the Helium Comedy Club Thursday to Saturday. The opening show starts Thursday at 8 p.m. Courtesy of Cliff Cheney
Comedy fans won't have to turn on their televisions this weekend to see Al Madrigal deliver his signature commentary on politics.
Madrigal, a regular correspondent on the Emmy Award-winning TV show The Daily Show with Jon Stewart since 2011, is set to perform standup this weekend at the Helium Comedy Club on 30 Mississippi St. in downtown Buffalo.
Viewers will have five chances to see Madrigal perform at Helium Thursday-Saturday. His performance Thursday will start at 10 p.m., followed by shows Friday at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. and one on Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Madrigal has never been to Buffalo, though his wife has relatives from the area.
For 15 years, Madrigal has performed stand-up acts. His humor has earned him the opportunity to work alongside Stewart and a spot on the new NBC show About a Boy.
On the Daily Show, Madrigal plays a field correspondent that covers the aspects of Latino Studies in the Arizona region. His character calls into question the judgment of Puerto Ricans that want to be recognized as state in an economy that is dysfunctional.
Under the guidance of Stewart, his appearances on The Daily Show have helped him practice his standup and improvisation.
"I see [Stewart's] work ethic, his commitment to putting on a great show, I've never had a better mentor in terms of comedy," Madrigal said via telephone April 3. "He's really cool and I couldn't have had a better experience there."
Madrigal's recent work on the set of About a Boy takes viewers through the life of Andy, a stay-at-home dad on a tight leash held by his controlling wife.
The show is something that he says is a perfect opportunity.
"This is the most ideal situation for me in terms of as an actor," Madrigal said. "It allows me to riff and improvise a lot of my lines, and once I get the written dialogue, I get to have fun."
Fun is apparent when Madrigal performs.
Last April, Madrigal released an hour-long comedy skit that aired on Comedy Central titled Why is the Rabbit Crying? His small jokes and long tangents include stories of his daughter walking in on him in the bathroom during his "me time" and his collection of WiFi network names.
His ability to deliver jokes has earned him respect in the world of comedy. He has audience members rallying behind him by the end of the show.
Madrigal said he learned this skill from studying Bill Cosby. Madrigal tries to turn his little jokes into bigger, contextual tangents.
"In terms of being a storyteller, the voices and really acting out the bits, [there is] a lot in common," Madrigal said. "I swear, but I'm not filthy when it comes to content. I try to do stuff that my kids can eventually listen to."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More ubspectrum News Articles
Recent ubspectrum News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR UBSPECTRUM
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST UBSPECTRUM NEWS
- James Gardner named interim dean of law school
- Skeete fuels second-half run as Bulls defeat Drexel
- A new shift
- A source of pride – and debt
- Reviving the Buffalo waterfront with Buffalo RiverWorks
- The Proles: A lesson in how to rock and roll
- Katy Perry will always be my “Teenage Dream” and she deserves to perform...
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
- The Most Dangerous Time of the Year? Safety Tips for the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists